PDA

View Full Version : Another noob question

swornenemy
10-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Alright, i won a domain at an auction that is appraised at $11,180.00. This is my first auction and win :biggrin:
My questions are:
1. Where is the best place to sell the domain the fastest so i can flip it?
2. Is domain leasing worth considering instead?
Thanks for the advice, Mike

Accent
10-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Sorry to say, appraisals are not much of an indicator of a domain's value. If you bought the name at a public auction (for example Godaddy/TDNAM or SEDO) then you probably paid about the reseller value of the domain. This means another investor is not likely to give you much profit on a flip.

The fancy prices you see domains selling for are usually paid by private businesses that have a strong use for a particular domain - and only that specific domain. The seller has to choose his domains wisely and wait for many years.

Domain flipping works best when prices are rising. Someone who knows the market really well can find underpriced domains and sell them to investor friends who will pay him for his time and expertise.

If you believe the economy and the domain market will soon improve then you can pick up good domains at favorable prices now, for long time holding (5 + years). You might do well with that if you have the knowledge. Flipping in this economy ---> even many of the experts have given that up.

If you are serious about making money with domains you need to spend a lot of time studying, here and on Namepros. Most beginners lose money on their domains.

swornenemy
10-13-2011, 10:54 PM
Thanks you for the response, this will slow me down on purchasing domains. I don't want to get stuck with a bunch of them just sitting and get in a position where im just looking to break even.

swornenemy
10-13-2011, 11:11 PM
The domain is a generic name so there is no trademark issues. I found there is a .org for the name, i will try to contact them myself and hope to sell it that way, I will let you know how it goes.

Accent
10-14-2011, 05:10 AM
The domain is a generic name so there is no trademark issues. I found there is a .org for the name, i will try to contact them myself and hope to sell it that way, I will let you know how it goes.
Generic is good. Check USPTO(dot)gov to be sure there are no USA trademarks owned by the company before you contact them - a generic word can be trademarked, the mark is not as strong but still a "bad faith" problem if you contact them.

Good Luck.