PDA

View Full Version : Typing .mobi after site name is still neccessary? Why??

limomobi
05-05-2010, 05:10 AM
Hello my friends,

I thought I read somewhere that the beauty of a .mobi was not having to type .mobi after the site's name. I thought all you had to do was type limo and it would take you to limo.mobi. That you didn't have to type the .mobi. We tried it on the blackberry using the http:// search field. If we enter limo, we get nothing. We would have to enter limo.mobi Am I not understanding something here? :hmmmm2:

Or is this just all hype. That somehow .mobi got robbed somewhere.

I was truly looking forward to not having to type in .mobi, .com, .net, etc.... That if one just types in airport it takes you to airport.mobi That was what I read that made a .mobi better than others.

So what happened? :dontknow: Either I'm not doing something correctly, misunderstanding what was posted or something stinks.

Scandiman
05-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Where on earth did you read or hear such a thing? When directly navigating to any website it is necessary to enter the full address including the TLD, be it .mobi or any other domain extension.

Dave
05-05-2010, 02:50 PM
That's pretty funny. No, that was never said or implied -- it couldn't work, given the fact that there are other extensions...

Maybe you're confusing it with the idea that there would be a ".mobi" button you could press on a mobile device to automatically add the extension instead of typing it? Obviously, that hasn't happened either.

andymoore
05-05-2010, 03:41 PM
What on earth gave you the impression that would be the case?

Someone somewhere has been feeding you information that at the very best is appauling bad.

gogo
05-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Maybe this is backwards? You were - back before Dotmobi gave up - supposed to be able to get to any .mobi address without typing www in front of it.

andymoore
05-05-2010, 09:36 PM
You should be able to access any URL without typing the http:// or www but the extension is a requirement that's not optional!

Technically nor is the http but the browser takes care of that by default.

Actually having a site that's accessible without www. is a part of the mobile web best practice guidelines.....

Scandiman
05-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Actually having a site that's accessible without www. is a part of the mobile web best practice guidelines.....

Very true, but is not always followed, especially when there is a subdomain like mdot. It happens often on my Nokia that I can't reach an mdot site because my native browser defaults with "http:///www". So I have to go back and delete the "www" to gain access. I know this is fixable at the server level but is often overlooked.

limomobi
05-06-2010, 03:39 AM
Hi Everyone:

Sorry for not responding earlier. Finally able to sit down at my computer. Crazy busy day like always.

I actually read it in an article on the internet quite a while ago. It was quite a lengthy report and well written. It detailed everything one needs to know about .mobi: history, auctions, functions, and news. It reported that the beauty of a .mobi was not having to type in .mobi after the name.

I will try to find the article. So far no luck. But my husband read it aloud to me two weeks ago while I was cooking. I just said, "I know already." So it is weird, that both my husband and I read the same article.

The article was so well written, I believed it! :embarassed: It was so believeable. I'm sure the journalist believed it too because of the way it was written. It went on and on about not needing to type .mobi extension when searching on the mobile phone. It even gave examples, restaurant.mobi versus just typing in restaurant without .mobi extensions and it would take you to restaurant.mobi (they used a different example name - can't remember) It seemed so plausible too. Maybe not in coding but for users it just seemed plausible. It was all done using the mobile phone.

So now I know that this isn't possible. :frown: Too bad. Because if it did, than it would be so cool.

Disappointed to know it isn't true. No wonder it didn't work on the blackberry. Here I thought it wasn't developed yet. Oh well.... Now I know.

Scandiman
05-06-2010, 04:47 AM
I thought I read somewhere that the beauty of a .mobi was not having to type .mobi after the site's name.

It went on and on about not needing to type .mobi extension when searching on the mobile phone.

Your OP implied using the browsers address bar, but now you're discussing search. Two very very very different things. The first is governed by the rules of DNS that technically controls how the web works with connecting IP addresses to domain names, the latter is governed by the constantly evolving concepts of search engine optimization.

limomobi
05-06-2010, 05:35 AM
I will continue looking for that lousy article.

My husband says it was http:// search field the article was talking about. Not the search box on google or yahoo. Sorry for misleading you by saying "searching". So he searched the http://limo versus http://limo.mobi on his blackberry mobile phone. Only the latter worked. So was disappointed with the article.

Scandiman
05-06-2010, 06:04 AM
I will continue looking for that lousy article.

My husband says it was http:// search field the article was talking about. That's not a search field, that's the browsers address bar. So your later sentence should more accurately read: " So he navigated to http://limo (http://limo/) versus http://limo.mobi (http://limo.mobi/) on his blackberry mobile phone browser. Only the latter worked." I'm not trying to be some fussy linguist, just trying to encourage the proper terms to minimize confusion.

limomobi
05-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah! Learned a new term. Thanks Scandiman.

So it is a browser he has.

Still no luck with that lousy article. When one is actively looking for it, one can't find it. When one isn't looking for it, it is there. Geez...

Since there is no validity in what the article says, I thank you everyone for clarifying this to me. A little disappointed b/c it would have made .mobi superior to others. Just think, not needing to type in the TLD, only putting in the name, and having ones .mobi site brought up automatically would have been so advantageous.

So it isn't possible........ ever (forever)????? No possibility of entering limo on a blackberry browser (or mobile phone) and bringing up limo.mobi? Oh... what a disappointment.

Scandiman
05-06-2010, 05:30 PM
So it isn't possible........ ever (forever)????? No possibility of entering limo on a blackberry browser (or mobile phone) and bringing up limo.mobi? Oh... what a disappointment.

That would be a function of the browser and/or carrier and I doubt such a scheme would ever happen. It used to be that PC browsers would sometimes default to .com but that is mostly gone now as well. In my case with Comcast internet if I forget a tld I will get a comcast generated landing page with sponsored links, no doubt they collect all the revenue.

andymoore
05-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Not a dissapointment just a misunderstanding of protocols.

http://www.skorks.com/2010/05/what-every-developer-should-know-about-urls/

mjnels
05-06-2010, 11:12 PM
In my case with Comcast internet if I forget a tld I will get a comcast generated landing page with sponsored links, no doubt they collect all the revenue.

comcast here too. you can opt-out of this just login to comcast.net and switch it ***. at first i didnt care but it got annoying after a while.

Accent
05-07-2010, 02:54 PM
I suspect the article was referring to the now infamous "mobi button" - a button on phones that would add .mobi to an address with one click. This was a major part of the early Mobi hype, Pinky Brand said they were expecting it to happen - and that it was their most often asked question - when he appeared on NP early on.

It is sick how a company can say stuff and later act as if they have no responsibility for their words.

coast
05-07-2010, 11:17 PM
I remember there was a time when Nokia business-class phones were going to default to .mobi, but that ship never came in, either. Nokia applied for .mobi and was turned down. There was so much infighting with competing interests on the board until Afilias bought them. I don't know what's next, but it has been very quiet around these parts lately, other than Noonoo posting the registration numbers. (It seems a little like LOST where the radio tower broadcasted the series of numbers over and over, but I digress...)

limomobi
05-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks Accent for clarifying about the mobi button. Too bad, the idea just disappeared.
Thanks Coast for your information re. Nokia.

Perhaps, in time, not needing to type in .mobi to default to a .mobi will happen. The idea was a good one. So it might just reappear and happen. Perhaps not this year or next. But 5 years from now. I'm always the optimistic one. I believe anything is possible if one wants it to work.

I still like .mobi even though a bit disappointed that not needing to type .mobi wasn't a real deal.

No real complaints here. I got a solicitation to buy limo.mobi 2 days before I joined this forum. I didn't respond (my friend jokingly said I should have. Hmmm..??). I still like my .mobi and believe in it. I like how limo.mobi works with the click to call buttons. That goodie was a real treat - surprise

Scandiman
05-10-2010, 12:43 AM
Perhaps, in time, not needing to type in .mobi to default to a .mobi will happen. The idea was a good one. So it might just reappear and happen. Perhaps not this year or next. But 5 years from now. I'm always the optimistic one. I believe anything is possible if one wants it to work.

Life is too short so I'll give you some direct talk: Don't waste one more thought on this .mobi default idea, it isn't going to happen unless mTLD builds the browser that does it and convinces everyone with a phone to download and use said browser. Ask anyone who has been following .mobi from the beginning if such a thing will happen and I believe you'll have a unanimous agreement that this will not happen. If I'm proven wrong I will gladly eat crow and join those praising the development. So form and execute your plans without any consideration for a .mobi browser default and you'll be much happier for it, you'll be basing your decisions on reality rather than just wishful thinking.

gogo
05-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Life is too short so I'll give you some direct talk: Don't waste one more thought on this .mobi default idea, it isn't going to happen unless mTLD builds the browser that does it and convinces everyone with a phone to download and use said browser. Ask anyone who has been following .mobi from the beginning if such a thing will happen and I believe you'll have a unanimous agreement that this will not happen. If I'm proven wrong I will gladly eat crow and join those praising the development. So form and execute your plans without any consideration for a .mobi browser default and you'll be much happier for it, you'll be basing your decisions on reality rather than just wishful thinking.

I agree 100%.

Don't make financial decisions about .mobi based on what you would like to see or what might happen. Look at what has happened, and what is happening, and actual levels of registration and usage. You can check dnjournal.com every week for domain sale prices, or check namebio.com. Those are sobering experiences.

Holding onto mobi for what it might ***er in future has cost some people a lot of money, and after four years that future has not come.

Personally, I'd say the only value is in strong keywords - is a name worth something in .info or .biz or .name or .cc? Then it might be in .mobi, if anyone actually wants to buy and use it.

limomobi
05-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks Scandiman and GoGo for the advice. You both are 100% correct.

Scandiman: I won't hold my breath for the technology to not input .mobi after the sites name. You are right. Life is too short.

I just was puzzled that it didn't work. It would have been nice if it worked. But it doesn't. I'm perfectly okay with that. I do like my limo.mobi. I like it with or without this button. I like it even if I must type in .mobi.

GoGO: You are absolutely correct about strong keywords. I like limo b/c of the strong keywords. I like .mobi b/c it is so portable. I like that name.

I don't know what the future holds. So many people don't like .mobi. Even in this forum I see them writing all sorts of stuff. So many people with their various opinions.

"I" like .mobi b/c of the names I have. I like the potential. I don't buy .com or .mobi with the intention to sell or flip. So I'm never disappointed here. I could care less what the market is doing. Some of my names, I have even paid for 10 years worth of registration. Why?? Because it was a better deal (cost per year) than 1 year. Saved some money. Plus I see myself having it for that long at least. I feel happy that it isn't going to expire anytime soon. That it is mine. Really mine. I don't have to worry about not having enough money next year to renew b/c I spent it on some silly hat. I was responsible. I paid for something I wanted to keep forever. Now if next year I don't have the money (economy goes up and down). It is still mine. I paid for the domain name. I just won't have money for the fancy purse. For me, better to have the domain I love than the fancy purse.

I don't own 1000's or even 100's of names. I don't buy with the intention to flip. I own good names. Or names I liked at the time. I will drop names to replace them with better names. But I never post to sell. I always want to develope all my domain names. It is always money, time and skill. All of which can be scarce. I'm still thinking and planning my next moves. I know when one site makes any money, I will put 100% into developing the other domains. I know I'm not the most tech savy person. That is why I'm here. I'm trying to learn about .mobi. So that I know what I want in my .mobi. If I can't make it happen (most likely not), than I have also paid attention to who is most likely able to put my site together. I have one person in mind from this forum. :) I don't know when I will develope my 2nd .mobi It is my hope that it will be sooner than later. My goals is that if this mobile site makes any money, I will put 100% of the money back into developing more .mobi with the same developer. That is my goal.

My plans is to have swimsuits.mobi as my next development. My sister is in Shanghai. She loves fashion. This just might work. If it does... great! If not.... I'm going to still try. I'm going to try until my kids take over. Then they can try. Who knows what it will be like in 10 years from now. But I'm going to try. I own one awesome .com name that I registered 11 years ago. It will have a link to swimsuits.mobi. I might not be the most tech savy person out there. But I have ideas!!!! Great ideas.

Thanks Scandiman and GoGo. I appreciate your advice. :)

andymoore
05-10-2010, 11:40 PM
If I'm proven wrong I will gladly eat crow
I suspect your taste buds are safe however in the event of mTLD dropping a gold plated miracle you'll need this:
http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm

;)

@limo - good to see a nice ten year plan there, too many folks expected near overnight returns when the marketplace sadly isn't going to permit it. I'm also loving the attitude of try, try, try and try some more.

One of the bits in "Think and grow rich" explained that when Thomas Edison invented the lightbulb he's had thousands and thousands of failures before his invention was a success. Mere mortals would have given up after a few trys, exceptional humans after a few hundred but Edison had thousands of prototypes fail on him and still kept on trying.

As a result his friends who thought it was crazy are now proven wrong by the fact we all have lightbulbs today.

It's made me think of another Thomas, 'The Bruce' a Scottish King with his world in tatters, hiding in a cave from the battles which had turned against him sat and watched a spider build a web. Time and time again it failed, time and time it tried again. In the end it won. It coined the phrase: if at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again.

Pure determination will get you anywhere you want to be!

limomobi
05-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks Andy,

Limo.mobi is registered until May 2017. I bought 9 years worth of registration because I was keeping this site forever. I would have bought 10 years but couldn't b/c site already had less than a year on it. If I purchased 10 years, than the expiration would have been more than 10 years. Apparently, this isn't allowed. It kept bumping me out. So I figured I can only renew 9 years more. The more years you purchase, the more discounts they give you as an incentive to renew more years. Since money is always tight, I didn't do this for all my sites. Just as many as I could since I keep my sites for a very long time.

My friend asked me about this one .com that I have had for 11 years. I looked up the registration. It doesn't expire until 2018. So it looks like I've registered that site for 19 years now! Wowwwww that is a long time. :)