PDA

View Full Version : I want to make my existing site mobile friendly- is this forum relevant?

MrPitBull
01-21-2010, 07:33 PM
I joined this forum to find out if the information and discussions here are going to help me in making my current website mobile friendly. I have already invested heavily in SEO on my current site and do not want a new domain name, as that would be going backwards.

So, can I use the info here so that when a mobile user comes to my existing site, based on finding me in the SERPS will he or she will be automatically directed to the mobile friendly site? If that can be accomplished; where do I begin?

Thanks for your help

coast
01-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Welcome to mobility, MrPitBull. If you want to make your existing site mobile friendly without a second domain name, you will need to make a mobile-friendly version of the site and use auto detection to ensure phone browsers get the right version.

Andy Moore has made an autodetect script (you can search for it on the forum), or there is a product called device atlas from mTLD which is the company that owns the .mobi names (we all lease them). I believe you can subscribe to device atlas with any TLD domain name.

If you wanted to get a .mobi name, there is a product called instant mobilizer from your registrar that will instantly slice and dice your content to be mobile. There are advantages to that as well, and the SEO on .mobi sites is good out of the gate because there are fewer .mobi's in the zone file.

I hope that helps.

MrPitBull
01-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks Coast for your informative reply.

I know I need auto-detection; what I am searching for is; which would be the best one to use and what file extension to use for the page and what folder or subdomain to host it on.

It seems odd to me that having to buy someones php solution would be the answer for the millions of website owners like me. I am hesitant to buy something and not even know if it is going to work for my site or not. You would think that the companies who are set to make Billions with a capital "B", would have all the tools needed and in place.

So too, I don't see the logic of the .mobi being the solution either. I don't understand (and I admitt I don't use a mobile device) what that will accomplish. If I have a mobile device and I am searching Google for PitBulls, is Google going to return a different set of results based on the fact that I am using the hand held? Are they going to then favor the .mobi extensions when displaying results? If so then I see the use for it.

Obviously, I know I could be missing something and appreciate yours and others experience.

coast
01-21-2010, 10:08 PM
I understand your concerns. Do keep in mind that this is still emerging technology and not all of the pieces are in place. Device Atlas has an entry-level free subscription level if I am not mistaken. I think there is more info on mobiforge.mobi or .com (I'm on my phone and can't check.

As a matter of fact, yes, you will get different SERP results if you are on a mobile device. Google keeps changing their algorithm so it varies, but Bing and Yahoo want to make inroads with mobile, so we're all watching to see what will happen.

coast
01-21-2010, 11:15 PM
By the way, the cheapest, fastest way to get a mobile site is to get a .mobi and select instant mobilizer. Example: http://mommysite.mobi is a mobilized version of http://mommysite.com - both are mine.

gogo
01-21-2010, 11:31 PM
Hi Welcome and I think you can find some answers on this forum.

This is a free device detection script in php:

http://mobiforge.com/developing/story/lightweight-device-detection-php

here is some good stuff to read:

http://mobiforge.com/Starting

It's worth doing a bit of reading because what you find is though mobile is not complicated, there are different approaches that are equally valid so you have to make decisions.

MrPitBull
01-22-2010, 03:04 AM
By the way, the cheapest, fastest way to get a mobile site is to get a .mobi and select instant mobilizer. Example: is a mobilized version of - both are mine.

Coast, if someone on a mobile unit goes to your .com site will they be redirected to your .mobi site? If they are not, then the new URL is not of use to me in my case. In your case you are not showing up in the SERPS with your main site (actually you have 3 low volume search strings indexed by Goggle on the second page that might account for a dozen visitors a month) so it does not matter to you.

I have over 300 people a day come to my site on a mobile device that found me through search engines. I am trying to accommodate those folks.

Thanks again for your help!

MrPitBull
01-22-2010, 03:09 AM

here is some good stuff to read:

It's worth doing a bit of reading because what you find is though mobile is not complicated, there are different approaches that are equally valid so you have to make decisions.

Gogo, Thanks for the suggestions I will check out those links.

coast
01-22-2010, 04:33 AM
Coast, if someone on a mobile unit goes to your .com site will they be redirected to your .mobi site? If they are not, then the new URL is not of use to me in my case. In your case you are not showing up in the SERPS with your main site (actually you have 3 low volume search strings indexed by Goggle on the second page that might account for a dozen visitors a month) so it does not matter to you.

I have over 300 people a day come to my site on a mobile device that found me through search engines. I am trying to accommodate those folks.

Thanks again for your help!

The example I gave you was to show you how instant mobilizer works. Mommysite.com is a newish site that I've been ignoring in favor of my regular site, and so it doesn't have a superlative amount of search traffic. I ***ered it to you as a quick and easy way to get a mobile site. As it happens, the .mobi has a link back to the .com in the footer, and if I wanted to I could either install a plugin into the .com to make it autodetect mobile and/or I could put a link in the header that said "mobile friendly site" to link it to the .mobi. As a matter of fact, that's just what I ought to do!

I understand you don't want to mess with your SEO. Really, I get it. But, if you don't have a solution in place, this could be a good stopgap, and is only available on a .mobi since it is provided free by mTLD (at least for the first year.) If you wanted, you could even noindex your .mobi in robots.txt if you are concerned with duplicate content. (Oh wait, no you can't because mTLD hosts it. Scratch that last bit.)

Good luck with everything!

MrPitBull
01-22-2010, 04:26 PM
The example I gave you was to show you how instant mobilizer works. Mommysite.com is a newish site that I've been ignoring in favor of my regular site, and so it doesn't have a superlative amount of search traffic. I ***ered it to you as a quick and easy way to get a mobile site. As it happens, the .mobi has a link back to the .com in the footer, and if I wanted to I could either install a plugin into the .com to make it autodetect mobile and/or I could put a link in the header that said "mobile friendly site" to link it to the .mobi. As a matter of fact, that's just what I ought to do!

I understand you don't want to mess with your SEO. Really, I get it. But, if you don't have a solution in place, this could be a good stopgap, and is only available on a .mobi since it is provided free by mTLD (at least for the first year.) If you wanted, you could even noindex your .mobi in robots.txt if you are concerned with duplicate content. (Oh wait, no you can't because mTLD hosts it. Scratch that last bit.)

Good luck with everything!

Thanks a bunch Coast, I appreciate all your help, you are very kind. I am going to have to take a look at the SERPS that are being delivered up to mobile user, as you mention.

What I am really looking for perhaps is a device detection script in .htaccess since my index page is html. Too, I wonder about the prevalence of getting unwanted directs for computer users.