PDA

View Full Version : Putting Some Skin In the Game

proton
01-02-2010, 05:59 PM
We are positioning to launch Saturday.mobi in our home market here in Southeastern CT. It's been a full year build, and this is our local beta market. We have created a function rich application that puts mobile advertising into the hands of local business owners. From a simple web interface, business owners can create ads and coupons which then populate the mobile site. When users "+Fav" a local business, they have the option of receiving text message alerts any time the business ad or coupon is updated. Feature rich and free. In our opinion, this is the only way to grow the virtually unknown .mobi market on a local level. And that's truly where it begins. (Of course we want to make money but realize that comes later with usage).

We are going to be running ads on local radio this month, and we are forced to dedicate dollars that could be used to build our brand to simply educating the business and user community on Dot Mobi. Sure, we find it mildly frustrating, but I realize that we have to 'put some skin in the game' as my title suggests. The sales process getting businesses to 'get it' can be quite mind numbing. But when they do get, eyes widen and virtual lightbulb is an old fashion 100 Watt. It's not just another 'app'. They have control, they see immediate direct benefit. Function I think most 'apps' are missing and that .mobi domains can deliver.

So now here is my proposal to mTLD. For those sites (and I wouldn't be so bold or presumptuous to say Saturday.mobi is one of them) that private developers have built and stand to really further the .mobi brand, put some 'skin in the game' by supporting these sites on a local level by providing funds dedicated toward helping building the .mobi brand. No initial mention of the particular site, 100% dedication to .mobi on the front end. Of course it is easy to write, I realize there would have to be qualifications and checks put in place. Just throwing the idea out there. Maybe something to brainstorm.

For those of you with the patience to read this through, thank you much.

pilot
01-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Proton, Saturday.mobi is looking awesome! Rep + on it's way!

proton
01-02-2010, 08:51 PM
From Andy Moore:

"Send me some of the money you'll waste on radio ads!

You're gonna need to spell .mobi out in your copy but in all reallity radio is push media and Pavlov's dogs have got wise, they no longer respond to the bell and have become more feline in nature, ie coming to you when they want something.

If that sounds like an odd tangent read "waiting for your cat to bark"

Why should mtld help you promote it? I don't think they should, it's above and beyond their scope as a tld provider."

As part of an overall marketing plan, radio ads, while a 'push' mechanism, play a critical role in building familiarity and credibility. It is but just one piece of the puzzle, and let me assure you with 100% confidence that if you hear a name on the radio a few times, whether you think you remember it or not, when I come to you or someone tells you about my product, you are more likely take notice. Anyway, not even a point worth arguing. I respect your opinion nonetheless.

So far as asking mtld to promote anything, what I am saying is they should be promoting themself, not my domain. And if you don't think they need to do so, well then again, I respectfully wish to disagree with your position. Go out on the street and ask 10 people if they have heard of .mobi and for every one that says yes, there are 9 that say no. And to my point, why not promote the .mobi domain on the front of a launch of a domain that mtld themselves feel best represent their mission. That's all. Not looking for a free ride. Just looking to spark conversation to put some wheels on things and turn talk into action.

coast
01-03-2010, 12:15 AM
So far as asking mtld to promote anything, what I am saying is they should be promoting themself, not my domain. And if you don't think they need to do so, well then again, I respectfully wish to disagree with your position. Go out on the street and ask 10 people if they have heard of .mobi and for every one that says yes, there are 9 that say no. And to my point, why not promote the .mobi domain on the front of a launch of a domain that mtld themselves feel best represent their mission. That's all. Not looking for a free ride. Just looking to spark conversation to put some wheels on things and turn talk into action.

I am not holding my breath for any marketing dollars to come from mTLD. That said, if you send a press release out on your own dime, make sure Vance gets a copy of it. He'll push it out on LinkedIn and Facebook. mTLD's still got a long way to go to get the reach they need in social media, but it's a start.

While you're at it, send me a copy of that press release and I'll post it on my blog (mobienthusiast.mobi). If you need someone to write it for you, I can do that on a freelance basis.

Also, submit your site in the mtld showcase at mobithinking.com (yes, you read that right, .com, but that's a whole nother story).

Keep in touch, I have some other ideas as well.

Scandiman
01-03-2010, 03:00 AM

facets of this have been discussed many times over. One thing that might be possible is mTLD could possibly help coordinate joint marketing efforts largely funded by the site owners who would benefit from the marketing. Sort of like the way Apple advertises in the Wall Street Journal about a set of 3rd party iPhone apps that are available and relevant to business (and likely attracts businesses to build more apps).