PDA

View Full Version : What if .com site is too big for .mobi?

wolf
11-16-2009, 12:47 AM
I've only been here for a few days but I have read a little about .mobi sites.
For one thing, my website has probably 100 JavaScript calculators and I've learned JavaScript doesn't work on .mobi websites.

Also, I have tried designing a few pages from my website into a .mobi format. Well, my website has a great many pages with about 5 or 6 columns each. This is not very convenient for viewing on a phone is it?

If that is the case, when building the .mobi site should I just omit a lot of information? Should I just think about building a mobile website just from scratch?

Since I don't have 10 posts yet I guess I'll have to state my current domain as www•1728•com.
If nothing else, at least I have made my foray into the .mobi Interent by owning the domain name 1728•mobi.

Any help, advice, suggestions would be quite welcome.

Scandiman
11-16-2009, 12:57 AM
I've learned JavaScript doesn't work on .mobi websites.

A more accurate statement would be that Javascript doesn't work on most phones.

Also, I have tried designing a few pages from my website into a .mobi format. Well, my website has a great many pages with about 5 or 6 columns each. This is not very convenient for viewing on a phone is it?

If that is the case, when building the .mobi site should I just omit a lot of information? Should I just think about building a mobile website just from scratch?

Since I don't have 10 posts yet I guess I'll have to state my current domain as www•1728•com.
If nothing else, at least I have made my foray into the .mobi Interent by owning the domain name 1728•mobi.

Any help, advice, suggestions would be quite welcome.

Have you looked into using Instant Mobilizer at all? It's an auto site-conversion tool from mTLD that is resold by some .mobi registrars.

seanboy
11-16-2009, 01:06 AM
A more accurate statement would be that Javascript doesn't work on most phones.
An even more accurate statement would be that Javascript doesn't work on old phones.

Scandiman
11-16-2009, 01:26 AM
An even more accurate statement would be that Javascript doesn't work on old phones. Yes, and often those phones that can support javascript often have it disabled by default. Hopefully that all changes and soon.

seanboy
11-16-2009, 02:13 AM
Yes, and often those phones that can support javascript often have it disabled by default. Hopefully that all changes and soon.

I have never seen a Javascript-enabled phone that has it turned *** by default. What phones are you talking about? Javascript is one of, if not the most important factors in the future of the mobile web.

Scandiman
11-16-2009, 02:28 AM
I have never seen a Javascript-enabled phone that has it turned *** by default. What phones are you talking about? Javascript is one of, if not the most important factors in the future of the mobile web.Every blackberry I've used (4 or 5 models now) plus my nokia N95 has had it turned *** by default in the native browser. iPhone was default on, the android phones I've seen have had it on but I'm not sure if it was that way out of the box since I've only used demo models in the store.

I agree that Javascript is important for the future of mobile web and look forward to not running into this problem soon.

seanboy
11-16-2009, 02:32 AM
Every blackberry I've used (4 or 5 models now) plus my nokia N95 has had it turned *** by default in the native browser. iPhone was default on, the android phones I've seen have had it on but I'm not sure if it was that way out of the box since I've only used demo models in the store.

I agree that Javascript is important for the future of mobile web and look forward to not running into this problem soon.

I would imagine so. Both the iPhone and Android browsers are based *** of Webkit (http://webkit.org/).

wolf
11-16-2009, 05:37 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied. I'd agree with everyone about JavaScript because it seems logical to me for mobile phones to function in the same way that PC's do. There's a bunch of calculators on my website and so, the sooner those can run on mobile phones, the happier I'll be.

Scandiman, thanks for the suggestion about Instant Mobilizer. I found it on GoDaddy and they even have a simulation tool for inputting your website URL and looking at the result. Pretty darned good. :)