PDA

View Full Version : If you had the mobi -- would having com, net etc. be good also?

Mobile Web Guy
10-31-2009, 06:12 PM
Please help the newbie

If you had the Mobi -- would you want the com, net, org, info etc. --- if you could get it for reg fee?

Is there value in having an extension for the big screen too. -- or can the Mobi display a large screen web version for the big screen also.

In other words do we only need the Mobi?

Thanks in advance to those who share

Scandiman
10-31-2009, 06:39 PM
Often the .com is not available anywhere near reg fee... for example all the names in my signature. (for those on the mobile template that would be Lodging.mobi, Debt.mobi and Alcatraz.mobi)

If the CNO (com, net, org) is available it is likely a brandable term since the generics are long gone. Then it might be wise to get the CNO to protect your brand.

Accent
10-31-2009, 06:41 PM
... can the Mobi display a large screen web version for the big screen also ...
Certainly. And with device detection you can have different versions for each.

It always is nice to have the .Com (and cross link with the Mobi), the other extensions beyond Mobi are less important. But the Mobi by itself can do it all.

newdomainer
10-31-2009, 06:53 PM
For a brandable term I think the dotcom is almost a necessity - I.e if it's your brand you want to protect it.
If another company has the dotcom developed because they use the same name you should be careful choosing your brand name.
If it's a generic / common name the dotmobi is great on it's own for all versions of your site.

The simplest answer to your question is
"no, you do not need the CNO versions of the domain but if you can get the dotcom at reg fee it would be advisable to get it."

Mobitunist
10-31-2009, 07:59 PM
-- or can the Mobi display a large screen web version for the big screen also.

Have a look at Smoking.mobi to see how this is done.

Great PC site with device detection for mobile use, so the "brand" that I will build out is Smoking.mobi i.e. extension, being mobi included.

MyWebSearches
10-31-2009, 08:05 PM
If it is available just register the .com extension. If someone else develop the same name in another extension it is very likely that you will benefit because of internet users are so used to type in only .com.

newdomainer
10-31-2009, 09:03 PM
If it is available just register the .com extension. If someone else develop the same name in another extension it is very likely that you will benefit because of internet users are so used to type in only .com.

Whooa! time travel alert!!! that comment is just So 1999! :laugh:
it may be true in much of the US of A today but certainly not in the UK etc...

morse
11-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Please help the newbie

If you had the Mobi -- would you want the com, net, org, info etc. --- if you could get it for reg fee?

Is there value in having an extension for the big screen too. -- or can the Mobi display a large screen web version for the big screen also.

In other words do we only need the Mobi?

Thanks in advance to those who share
Nobody remembers what site it was, what TLD it was unless its some big brand!!! Serp is more important, even the brightest of minds use search engines, and there is something else called bookmarking just in case som1 likes the site. Getting a dot com or dot net is just complimentary and not compulsory, personallythere is no need to pay that extra reg fee too.

MyWebSearches
11-03-2009, 12:56 AM
My comment is so 2009 and I hate this fact also so I really hope that in the future people don't think automatically .com

Here is an example:

Justin . TV

Thousands of people people type in:

JustingTV . com

And can I show you many more examples. Countrycodes might be exempt more than other extension.

Anyway back to your question: I was thinking more about letting other people register the other extension and you keep the .COM. So if the owners other extension develop their names your .com name will become more popular and more valuable.

Mobile Web Guy
11-03-2009, 01:10 AM
When buying Mobi's --- I have found 99% of the time the com haa been taken. Sometimes you can get a net -- more times the org

I am surprised as to the extent two and three word com's have been bought out.

Many times I have found that all other extensions are bought out with the MOBI sitting there. I figure yeah I'll take the Mobi. Now -- I know that the Mobi can show a full screen site too -- it seems like it just puts the Mobi a little ahead of most of the other extensions behind the com.

It does seem like the secondary names are not quite as important to get if you do have the Mobi

MyWebSearches
11-04-2009, 03:38 AM
I just found this article to the point I was making in my previous post and why it's important think about it.

The .Org Traffic Spillover Effect Boosts .Com Domains

An example of why you a .com domain.

What happens when you use a non .com domain name and market it? Yeah, every one knows that the .com equivalent suddenly gets more traffic. In case you’re looking for another concrete example, Domain Name Wire reader Ross Hosman stumbled upon TwoOfUs.org.

Hosman was on Pandora recently and saw ads for TwoOfUs.org, a web site by National Healthy Marriage Resource Center. He ran a quick check at Quantcast to see how much traffic the web site gets and compared it to .com. Here’s what he found:

You can read the whole story here:

http://domainnamewire.com/2009/11/03/the-org-traffic-spillover-effect-boosts-com-domains/

DomainTalker
11-14-2009, 08:02 AM
When the penny drops that you can present your products/services/brands as a PC site on .mobi......just as fully & powerfully as you can on a .com

Plus,

You can market your .mobi version of the same site as .mobi = mobile, too.

...and auto-detect between them...

then things may start happening for .mobi.