PDA

View Full Version : dotmobi.mobi directory?

Pitchman101
06-17-2009, 06:32 AM
If I ask to many questions, you can all tell me to nock it ***, but I realy want to now the aswer's so I can make wise decisions.:biggrin:

Seeing as dotmobi.mobi is the company behind.mobi, do they ***er a directory of all .mobi names either purchased, or developed?.
They should, or would be the company behind such a directory seeing as they are the only one's that actualy now all registered .mobi's right?.:dontknow:
as aposed to us manualy entering our .mobi's in individual directory's.
As a name is registered, it is instantly included into there directory. or if a .mobi is developed, and ran through there mobi check, it is instantly included.
would it not be a major marketing pitch/benefit for them to ***er such a directory ?.
It would instantly be the .mobi bible so to speak.
If it exists, please let me now how to find it. and if it exists, please tell me to shut up.Pitchman101:coo2l:

ChineseDomain
06-17-2009, 06:45 AM
Apply the .mobi ZoneFile, you can get what you want :)

Pitchman101
06-17-2009, 07:00 AM
thanks chinesedomain.
I printed a copy and will fax to .mobi.
That still does not answer the question as to why purchased .mobi domains are not categorized by dotmobi.mobi and ***ered as a directory for public vewing.
I think it would only enhance there position.

gogo
06-17-2009, 07:07 AM
dotmobi do ***er this http://find.mobi/

coast
06-17-2009, 07:07 AM
The closest ***icial dotMobi directory is the showcase of developed sites. DIR.mobi is the oldest directory and it is a privately owned site. Igloo.mobi is another one that is very comprehensive. I don't know if that answers your question or not.

Pitchman101
06-17-2009, 07:23 AM
gogo.
Find.mobi has never worked for me. Just tried, and failed again.
Coast.
I've used dir on occasion but never heard of Igloo.
I guess I should clarifi. I was talking about a directory that I may be able to scroll through say a list from a-z listings of .mobi developed links.
you can search names by typing one in, but you can also review all existing names by scrowling.
My reasoning is that I would like to see .mobi's I otherwise would not think of typing in there names for lack of nowing they exist!.
Thus being able to actually go see existing sites I otherwise would never now exists!.:biggrin:
People who are doing mobile searches, dont now what they are looking for!.

Scandiman
06-17-2009, 01:40 PM
I guess I should clarifi. I was talking about a directory that I may be able to scroll through say a list from a-z listings of .mobi developed links.
you can search names by typing one in, but you can also review all existing names by scrowling.
My reasoning is that I would like to see .mobi's I otherwise would not think of typing in there names for lack of nowing they exist!.
Thus being able to actually go see existing sites I otherwise would never now exists!.:biggrin:

I can understand the desire for such a directory, but if you take the time to really think this through you'll see the impracticality of it. From the last I heard, there are approximately 800,000 .mobi domains registered. Let's assume they are all developed sites, that is a directory that would take a very, very, very long time for a user to scroll through. Even 1/2 size is way too big. It's like reading the phone book. mTLD doesn't need to build yet another phone book, there are already some very competent players helping users locate content on the web, and it's content that users are after, not just TLD's. But let's say for a moment mTLD did build this directory, let's look at the numbers for a moment. Assuming it takes a person one minute on average to pull up a registered .mobi domain, determine the appropriate category and move it there, then this person would be able to open and categorize approximately 500 .mobi domains per 8 hour day (with no breaks). With 800,000 domains, this person would finish the sorting task in 1,600 days or about 4 1/2 years assuming they work every day of the week with no vacation. Also this assumes this individual is fluent in every major language on the planet, and can build out the directory for every language represented in the content of the .mobi sites. So also assuming this multilingual and incredibly motivated person costs mTLD $75,000 per year to employ, this directory will cost $337,500 to build, not including the ***ice equipment and space, support staff to host the directory, etc. So let's assume instead that 4 people performed the task in one year with the cost being about the same, they would have invested over a quarter of a million dollars to have a directory that satisfies the curiosity of a few individuals such as yourself. If you feel that I am miscalculating the demand for this directory, I encourage you to invest the four years of your own time and money and go through the zone file (which is available for free BTW) and build this beauty. Unfortunately though, after 4 years you'll need to start over since the information from year one is likely quite obsolete.

People who are doing mobile searches, dont now what they are looking for!.
If people doing searches don't know what they are looking for, then how on earth will a directory that will take them months to scroll through help them?:confused2:

It's clear to me that you haven't thought this one through.

Pitchman101
06-17-2009, 03:58 PM
scandiman
I'm no developer,marketer and could probalbly not be considered a domainer as I have only been doing this for 2 1/2 months.
the question posed was why dotmobi.mobi doesnt have such a directory, as they allready have the data base to create such a beast.
If they do not allready have the capability to creat it, I would imagine a program could be developed to pull all existing developed .mobi's from there archives and categorize a linked list.
maybe a programer here can jump in with some input and let me now how long such a program would take to develope, or if a company like dotmobi, whom allready has such a list in there posession/datebase,could pump a directory out in a reasanable amount of time at a justifiable cost.
could work much like mobilitys community name list.
I apprertiate the thought you gave my post and encourage continued dialogue from all here at mobility.Pitchman

Work In Progress
06-17-2009, 09:04 PM
The closest ***icial dotMobi directory is the showcase of developed sites. DIR.mobi is the oldest directory and it is a privately owned site. Igloo.mobi is another one that is very comprehensive. I don't know if that answers your question or not.

Coast has already suggested this, but I'm not too sure you saw it (http://mobility.mobi//mobithinking.com/showcase).
It's a "showcase" of mobi sites you might find interesting.

Personnally, I find it almost impossible to find a specific site within any given category, which makes sites that are "deep" rarely found. I think they should think about using keywords and a search feature or even go back to the original alphabetical listings. They are all rather random now

Scandiman
06-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Personnally, I find it almost impossible to find a specific site within any given category, which makes sites that are "deep" rarely found. I think they should think about using keywords and a search feature or even go back to the original alphabetical listings. They are all rather random now
Imagine it with 100,000 listings, while I'd be excited at the depth of content on .mobi, using such a monster without a search function would be painful.

Cybersquatter.mobi
06-18-2009, 03:56 AM
Hi.

Thinking outside the box...again. From a unique entrepreneurial marketing perspective, I think showcasing dotmobi sites via www.cybersquatter.mobi (http://www.cybersquatter.mobi) would be cool and "buzzing". What do you think?

Pitchman101
06-18-2009, 04:56 AM
AtlanticCity.
You can ad scipthis.mobi to your cybersquatter.mobi list.:biggrin:
Dont think dotmobi would care to use cybersquatter.mobi name as a directory though!. It may conflick with the tru dignity of the .mobi image>:dontknow:
All jokes aside, I do still think it would /could be a usefull tool, but only if it was done by a company allready holding access to the current list of developed .mobi's. ( inside track)
I do believe some company holds such a list. dotmobi for sure and probably all domain sellers, IE: godaddy,sedo,1&1,ect.
I do wish I had the means to do this task. It would be a challenge but what a blast it would be to be able to look at such a massive project complete and now you accomplished that.
although it would be never ending.:boxing:

Cybersquatter.mobi
06-18-2009, 05:23 AM
hi buddy...pitchman

imagine godaddy.com's girls plus+ a dotmobi "showcase listing" called www.cybersquatter.mobi (http://www.cybersquatter.mobi) :laugh: ( www.domainer.mobi (http://www.domainer.mobi) www.dir.mobi (http://www.dir.mobi) sounds boooring and uninteresting :dontknow: ) how do you excite the new dotmobi domain name owner from africa? or say the middle east? www.cybersquatter.mobi (http://www.cybersquatter.mobi) ?

...but a never ending directory project would only mean a never ending stream of revenue once the business model is perfected. but the real bonus...for a dotmobi fanatic (like most of here)...a directory would also be a never ending stream of fun...imagine checking out, listing, reviewing dotmobi sites all day long.... :biggrin: