PDA

View Full Version : $5.99 .mobi's?

Pitchman101
06-16-2009, 02:07 PM
OK
got me wondering. $5.99 .mobi's.
Is this a bad sign?. kinda like a CEO dumps stock when he nows his company is getting ready to tank?.:confused2:
And I dont mean Godaddy tanking. the .mobi register.
Is godaddy just that nice a company, they are passing along savings to there customers?, or should we read between the lines?.
I would think that at $6.99,or$7.99, they were selling very many .mobi's and the price was probably below cost at that time?.
Whats up?:dontknow:

edit!!

Also, at that price, it encourages domainers to purchase more .mobi's, but as our beloved moderator pointed out in a post, If you just buy domains to allow them to sit without developement, you are part of the problem in .mobi becomeing the mobile access of choice.
I personaly have many .mobi's sitting on the shelf with inadaquite funds to develope all sites within a reasanable amount of time.
If we want our investments to pay ***, and we want .mobi to succeed, we need to concentrate on developement.
So please think twice when wanting to purchase another domain people. I have switched gears and am working on developement. I ask that you not get suckered into buying another name that will not get develpoed.
I do now, ITS AN ADICTION!!

newdomainer
06-16-2009, 03:24 PM
I understand that 'other' registrars have been discussing pricing with mtld to impress upon then the need to reduce registration costs and renewal costs in order to help those holding dotmobi domains through this period of uncertainty.

The lower the price, the less drops... the more names get registered; which in turn increases the awareness of the extension.

The number of undeveloped names does not impact as much as you might think.. having a million undeveloped names is better than having a million unregistered names!

Among the cheapest domains are dotcoms.... with millions of crappy domains undeveloped.. I don't see that impacting too much on the extension; we need to keep prices down... I've been backing $6 regs for a while along with similar renewals and sub $9.99 transfers otherwise we might as well pack up & go home..

Dave
06-16-2009, 03:38 PM
It means nothing more than a current sale that will end pretty soon, I'm sure...

Pred
06-16-2009, 06:11 PM
personally i would rather regfees stay at 7.49 or whatever. i am fine with that price. i want them to be same price as com otherwise they end up second class citizens like info

renewal should be same as regfee. tbh if moniker keep charging 9.99 i will move a load, hundreds , on principle

the transfer rate is insane. may as well charge $50, as noone will be using
really stupid 'business' sense
i admire bisnesses more when they admit they got something wrong and adjust it

as far as this rate with godadster, its cheap i will reg some with them while it lasts. must be a lossleader

newdomainer
06-16-2009, 06:43 PM
I doubt it's a loss-leader I'd bet that GD have a price concession from mtld based on volume.... I think we'll see something coming from Moniker soon..... Transfer rates are set by mtld too, I don't believe that the registrars are directly to blame!

Tom
06-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Also, at that price, it encourages domainers to purchase more .mobi's, but as our beloved moderator pointed out in a post, If you just buy domains to allow them to sit without developement, you are part of the problem in .mobi becomeing the mobile access of choice.
I personaly have many .mobi's sitting on the shelf with inadaquite funds to develope all sites within a reasanable amount of time.
If we want our investments to pay ***, and we want .mobi to succeed, we need to concentrate on developement.
So please think twice when wanting to purchase another domain people. I have switched gears and am working on developement. I ask that you not get suckered into buying another name that will not get develpoed.
I do now, ITS AN ADICTION!!
Unfortunately (and contrary to what many believe) .mobi's future is beyond our control and will not be determined by our developments. Sadly, it does little more than give us a warm cuddly feeling that we are helping .mobi out of its slump and into success.

Scandiman
06-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Unfortunately (and contrary to what many believe) .mobi's future is beyond our control and will not be determined by our developments. Sadly, it does little more than give us a warm cuddly feeling that we are helping .mobi out of its slump and into success.

so would you suggest no one bother building anything? I don't understand the defeated attitude.

Tom
06-16-2009, 08:59 PM
so would you suggest no one bother building anything? I don't understand the defeated attitude.
No, that's not what I'm saying... but us building sites here and there will not save .mobi. We need mass adoption by big websites/companies - and no matter how many sites we make, we cannot get past that fact. If we made a thousand new sites, in the BIG picture it won't do a whole lot for the extension.

Pred
06-16-2009, 09:14 PM
i agree with Tom
also to be fair to him Scandi, he's one of the most pro-active developers on here of .mobis, which means world too!

The 'fact' is what he says. I have always known this, and it's why i have my 'obsession' with finding major developed sites and to get word out

yes, developing too, is good. no mistake. BUT we really need a gamechanger, and soon.

it would need to be of magnitude of google or facebook too

lets be honest 3 years in in september, and google as a backer and sponsor are still not using the frigging thing.
3 years in even diehards like me are thinking will there ever be a gamechanger or are we gonna have to just ride the 'slowburn' and renewals for 5 years or more to come

we need something soon

gogo
06-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Transfer rates are set by mtld too, I don't believe that the registrars are directly to blame!

Are you sure about that?

They seem to charge very different transfer fees, $10 for mobi at dynadot and $15 for mobi at Moniker.

Maguire
06-16-2009, 11:08 PM
BUT we really need a gamechanger, and soon.

Let's do this:

You, Scandiman. Gerry, Andy Moore, Chris from Down Under (Spas.mobi) etc. put on your Twtiter hats.

No, this has nothing to do with Twitter but it will establish a reasonable guideline.

In 100 words or less send me your reasons why .mobi has value and why.

Content will overlap, but I will take these narratives, cull out the most substantive and documenable factoids and construct a video, from my studio, that can be be used to sort of educate businesses or whoemever about the viability and destiny of .mobi.

I am sure this has been done before, as I have read other narratives. I have just never seen it in a video.

When I am done I will post the file, anyone who wants to take it and disseminate the file or a link to the file, have at it.

And if anyone wants to ignore it, everyone is free to do that also.

Doc

http://www.mobizips.com/images/NewYorkTrust-tv.jpg

Pred
06-16-2009, 11:52 PM
im actually already doing that right now funnily enough doc, but theres no getting away from we need a google or facebook. it needs to be a monster of that ilk

Maguire
06-17-2009, 01:59 AM
Don't know much about that Face Book genre but I can do effective video. So, if anyone sees this as getting a start, just put together the naratives in 100 words or less.

Doc

Pitchman101
06-17-2009, 02:49 AM
allright doc.
I'll take a crack at it.
I do believe the notebook and mobile world is in need of a common link RE: mobile access. there are to many way's to access mobile content wich makes it confusing.
I like the idea of a common thread. it is a neccessary product.
Also, I do believe the extention does end up being shorter to use than other most, if not all other mobile extentions.
the shortest extention I can think of would be m/content.com? = 5 keys as apposed to content.mobi = 4. this goes a long way in the text message world.
Thats my input. I will ad more if no one wants to get involved with your project doc.
Allready over your 100 word request. Pitchman101:coo2l:

Maguire
06-17-2009, 03:10 AM
Got it Pitchman.

Doc

newdomainer
06-17-2009, 10:16 AM
im actually already doing that right now funnily enough doc, but theres no getting away from we need a google or facebook. it needs to be a monster of that ilk

Jaybees thread - Walmarts .mobi site..... I know it's not facebook or google but it's a massive 'grass roots' dotmobi site and can only spread from there...

I'd rather a 1,000 mobi sites by household names than 1x facebook.mobi

Truth is facebook has already gone mobile... we should applaud that because it has done more than most to encourage mobile browsing.

But the likes of walmart / Ford / barclays / Stihl / sbutts and hundreds more dotmobi sites are going to do more for the extension in my opinion...

I haven't checked but do these household names use their dotbiz names for example?

The iphone has also done so much to increase mobile web use... leading the way to a growth in mobi sites...

Pred
06-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Jaybees thread - Walmarts .mobi site..... I know it's not facebook or google but it's a massive 'grass roots' dotmobi site and can only spread from there...

I'd rather a 1,000 mobi sites by household names than 1x facebook.mobi

Truth is facebook has already gone mobile... we should applaud that because it has done more than most to encourage mobile browsing.

But the likes of walmart / Ford / barclays / Stihl / sbutts and hundreds more dotmobi sites are going to do more for the extension in my opinion...

I haven't checked but do these household names use their dotbiz names for example?

The iphone has also done so much to increase mobile web use... leading the way to a growth in mobi sites...

yes, i agree with that. although a monster like facebook or google would have an instant big effect, and finally wake up the other domainers who have had their minds poisoned against .mobi

Pitchman101
07-10-2009, 05:21 AM
On this forum. Under news and discussion, third sticky down. Andres writes a very compelling article regarding development of your .mobi's.
It may have been written 2 years ago but the message is as pertinant today as it was in 2007.
I am new at this .mobi domain development and am hardly the person to give advise, so I wanted to dirrect new forum users to this thread.
For me, it speeks volumes in taking my investments (.mobi domains) and turning them into a vallid source for web browsers to access information, thus increasing the likelyhood all .mobi's increase in traffic as well as value.
As a novise ( and bad speller ) I can say that my development of my .mobi's has gotten attention from many, and traffic has/is increasing on a daily basses as apposed to paid parking.
My personal experiance has been that it has and is well wourth the cost,energy,time invested in taking a pro-active stance in not waiting for the other guy to see what he is doing, but to take charge, roll the dice and enjoy the game.
Also, I wasted many days asking questions and waiting for the answer's from the experts on this forum.
You are now thinking ( What the f*** does that mean?.) It means there is alot of information allready posted here and only takes alittle of your time to research the past logs to get what you need.I have asked many questions from old timers only to find the answer myself in a prior post.
I am the worst at asking before checking. Many here will attest, and I do not want to discourage vallid inguiry's. Just a note to say that if if you have valid questions regarding .mobi, the answer is written in these pages.
If you do not find it, there are many pro's on this forum will bend over backwards to ***er advice,information, and yes you will get a critic or two.
Check out andres posts. If anyone has the needed information, he has allready posted it.
You can go to any members name and click on the link for all post from that individual.
I personely like many of maquires posts. go check him out.
Coast has much information when it comes to marketing.
I'm not going to mention a developer becouse I'm using one on this post and do not want to loose my guy. so go find your own.
(Like the subliminal advertisment Dave?, Mr Developmy.mobi)
Development is realy what its all about. If your not doing that, you may very well be hurting all involved in .mobi
Pitchman101:coo2l:

Scandiman
07-10-2009, 01:02 PM
On this forum. Under news and discussion, third sticky down. Andres writes a very compelling article regarding development of your .mobi's.
It may have been written 2 years ago but the message is as pertinant today as it was in 2007.
I am new at this .mobi domain development and am hardly the person to give advise, so I wanted to dirrect new forum users to this thread.
For me, it speeks volumes in taking my investments (.mobi domains) and turning them into a vallid source for web browsers to access information, thus increasing the likelyhood all .mobi's increase in traffic as well as value.
As a novise ( and bad speller ) I can say that my development of my .mobi's has gotten attention from many, and traffic has/is increasing on a daily basses as apposed to paid parking.
My personal experiance has been that it has and is well wourth the cost,energy,time invested in taking a pro-active stance in not waiting for the other guy to see what he is doing, but to take charge, roll the dice and enjoy the game.
Also, I wasted many days asking questions and waiting for the answer's from the experts on this forum.
You are now thinking ( What the f*** does that mean?.) It means there is alot of information allready posted here and only takes alittle of your time to research the past logs to get what you need.I have asked many questions from old timers only to find the answer myself in a prior post.
I am the worst at asking before checking. Many here will attest, and I do not want to discourage vallid inguiry's. Just a note to say that if if you have valid questions regarding .mobi, the answer is written in these pages.
If you do not find it, there are many pro's on this forum will bend over backwards to ***er advice,information, and yes you will get a critic or two.
Check out andres posts. If anyone has the needed information, he has allready posted it.
You can go to any members name and click on the link for all post from that individual.
I personely like many of maquires posts. go check him out.
Coast has much information when it comes to marketing.
I'm not going to mention a developer becouse I'm using one on this post and do not want to loose my guy. so go find your own.
(Like the subliminal advertisment Dave?, Mr Developmy.mobi)
Development is realy what its all about. If your not doing that, you may very well be hurting all involved in .mobi
Pitchman101:coo2l:

Nice commentary pitchman, rep+, here's a link to Andres' thread encouraging development http://mobility.mobi/showthread.php?t=130 and it is as true today as it was the day he wrote it.

You're absolutely right, there is a wealth of information here available to anyone who takes the effort to dig it up. Sometimes you need to go back a ways in the age of threads but under that dust can be found some great tools, information, advice and references about a myriad of things relevant to mobile web in general and .mobi specifically.

youmo
07-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Regarding the need for a big new promoter of a mobi site. The idea mentioned yesterday regarding FIFA.mobi is a good option. Can we help this happen?

mandilon
09-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Beware of registrars: godaddy, 1and1, hostway, domaincentral and other 'junkies' out there.

Good Day & God Bless All!