PDA

View Full Version : Can .mobi domains be used, optimized (seo) just like .coms?

jenHenry
06-14-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm considering purchasing some .mobi domains, I just want to know if I build a site on a .mobi, is it the same thing as a .com as far as structure, optimization, etc...

I know they are for mobile devices, but are they just as compatible on PC's, Macs, desktops, etc...?

Scandiman
06-14-2009, 01:40 PM
If you take a look at Mobility.mobi, it is a full PC site as well as a mobile site, using device detection to provide the appropriate site to a visitor. So as long as you don't neglect the mobile site, you are free to also ***er a PC site as well.

andymoore
06-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Same old same old really when it comes to anything else, awesome content, great navigational structure, sitemaps and relevant anchors.

Device detection and some server side voodoo can show devices content, ad channels and revenue stream for two platforms!

It's a winner in my eyes and yes an XHTML mobile site can be viewed on a PC but the two mediums ***er different opportunities to exploit so detecting is the way!

gogo
06-14-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm considering purchasing some .mobi domains, I just want to know if I build a site on a .mobi, is it the same thing as a .com as far as structure, optimization, etc...

I know they are for mobile devices, but are they just as compatible on PC's, Macs, desktops, etc...?

Just adding to what others have said, any mobi site can be viewed just fine on a PC. If you have two sites (mobile and pc) and switch between them with device detection (easily done, and in wordpress there are plugins for that), you can include stuff on the PC site that wouldn't work on a phone (like full google maps) and use the full screen on a PC - more space for adverts and images.

Basically a win win situation.

seo-marketing
08-28-2009, 10:54 AM
mobi domains have less authority than a .com domain. Just think how many domains with .mobi do u see actually on top of Google, Yahoo or Bing ?

newdomainer
08-28-2009, 11:33 AM
mobi domains have less authority than a .com domain. Just think how many domains with .mobi do u see actually on top of Google, Yahoo or Bing ?

Chicken? Egg?

How many mobile sites do you think have been built yet? (in comparison with dotcoms...)
I'll bet that you won't come back in 5 years & say you couldn't find any mobi sites ranking well on search engines...

Indeed, your claim that mobi domains have less authority is actually baseless in fact... (i.e. sheer bunkem) :rolleyes2:

Also... (for the next few years at least, I expect) a dotcom site Vs a dotmobi site is usually going to win in the traffic stakes...
That doesn't mean that one is better than the other, it just means that one supports the other by ***ering an anywhere, anytime service that the parent site can't ***er.

This only applies where there are two versions... Stand alone dotmobi sites are equal in authority to any dotcom site... however, it is the content that dictates ranking more than anything; hence the chicken & egg comment...

To analogise; horses were still more popular than cars for several years after the car was invented... you don't see many horses now though do you? :hmmmm2:

newdomainer
08-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Same old same old really when it comes to anything else, awesome content, great navigational structure, sitemaps and relevant anchors.

Device detection and some server side voodoo can show devices content, ad channels and revenue stream for two platforms!

It's a winner in my eyes and yes an XHTML mobile site can be viewed on a PC but the two mediums ***er different opportunities to exploit so detecting is the way!

Nothing to add! :coo2l: :adore:

GijsZePa
08-28-2009, 11:37 AM

Go to google.com
You see a small textbox where you can type mobility

Check the results..

Martin

developmy.mobi
08-28-2009, 04:59 PM
http://seochecklist.mobi/

noonoo1
08-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Rep+ Dave:biggrin:

newdomainer
08-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Rep+ Dave:biggrin:

You mean Rep + Andy! :coo2l:

developmy.mobi
08-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Yeah, I'm just the messenger :)

DomainTalker
08-29-2009, 03:16 AM
That's a fantastic bit of info for us non-techies, Dave...:)

Thanks to you - and to Andy - for posting this....

cobo
08-31-2009, 04:57 AM
Thanks fellas!

johny_edu
09-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Hi guys, just to mention that my twittme.mobi (http://twittme.mobi) site is quite new - it has no back links yet, it has google page rank of zero but is still on the 3rd page on google.com for my top keyword!

gverdugo
09-22-2009, 02:33 AM
well i have a couple of mobis that need help also . but i have renta.mobi a preimum mobi.. i hope it does ggod.

*james*
10-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Google basically killed .mobi SEO and mobile SEO in general by switching *** prioritisation of mobile-optimized sites. Now the best thing to do to rank in a search from a mobile device is rank as a dot.com/ PC site and then push to a mobile version. It is very hard to rank mobile-only sites due to the lack of links in from other sites.

Mobidomainer
10-31-2009, 03:00 AM
Thanks for the info

mike123
12-22-2009, 11:00 AM
well i think it is hard to get those domain on top of websites in search engines,mobility.mobi or ready.mobi are some exceptions...

coast
12-23-2009, 02:50 PM

That is an overgeneralization and needs to be put in perspective. Developed .mobi sites which are properly optimized are found at the top of every search engine. It so happens there are far fewer developed .mobi sites than .com sites, so of course you won't see as many of them.

andymoore
12-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Coast is bang on!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=detect+mobile+devices&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:***icial&client=firefox-a

Case closed?

newdomainer
12-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Coast is bang on!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=detect+mobile+devices&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:***icial&client=firefox-a

Case closed?

Only 2,900,000 returns... and you're #1 What does that prove? lol :biggrin:

gogo
12-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Just google this: Great Leaders.

coast
12-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Just google this: Great Leaders.

#5, nice going!

gogo
12-23-2009, 08:21 PM
#5, nice going!

Some days it hits no. 3 spot, making it the second site listed - to get to number 1 it has to overtake Time Magazine.

Try googling safe toy or safe toy list, you should get a mobi on page 1, sometimes it is even on page 1 for safe toys, which is more challenging.

Google Toy Safety and you get a different mobi on page 1.

So it can be done. Yahoo apparently gives more weight to domain names, so it seems easier for newer sites to rate high on yahoo.

SteveC
12-30-2009, 05:51 PM
So if device detection is active and the main site, say xxyyzz.com sends the mobile user to mobile.xxyyzz.com instead of .mobi, would that make a difference for SEO capabilities?

Would they be easier to SEO if using a mobile.insertcompanyname.com instead of a insertcompanyname.mobi domain?

They'd still be both mobile web sites, but from a different domain (.com instead of .mobi). There must be a way to tag the data so it picks up as SEO for mobile as well.

noonoo1
12-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Would they be easier to SEO if using a mobile.insertcompanyname.com instead of a insertcompanyname.mobi domain?

I would not know if insertcompanyname.com is a mobile site but i'm sure i would know that insertcompanyname.mobi would probably be a mobile site.:smile:

This is an old question and you would probably find the 100's of posts on this subject on this forum.

coast
12-31-2009, 03:39 AM
So if device detection is active and the main site, say xxyyzz.com sends the mobile user to mobile.xxyyzz.com instead of .mobi, would that make a difference for SEO capabilities?

They'd still be both mobile web sites, but from a different domain (.com instead of .mobi). There must be a way to tag the data so it picks up as SEO for mobile as well.

Andy would know the particulars on device detection, but mobile.whatever.com is worse for SEO in general than whatever.mobi because your root domain isn't going to pass pagerank to the subdomain. Since there are fewer .mobi names developed, it takes less time for the bots to run through the zone files. Here's an article I wrote about this awhile back: http://mobienthusiast.mobi/mobi-is-dead-presentation-also-known-as-dont-follow-bad-advice

Noonoo is passing on some of the sensitivity some folks here feel for a lot of .mobi bashing in the domainer community. I am interpreting your question as a legitimate developer inquiry, so please continue asking if you don't get your questions answered.

SteveC
01-05-2010, 07:16 PM
We were having an internal discussion here (well known travel company) and figured we'd ask the community. We have our own resident .mobi domain basher, so these answers are helping :fight:

You guys are awesome, thanks for the pointers and the article link, and I'll look to the search functionality here for more info.

gogo
01-05-2010, 08:12 PM

If you have mobile and non-mobile content on the same domain, you can upload separate sitemaps for the mobile content and then use Google Webmaster Tools to tell that to Google so they get the difference.