PDA

View Full Version : Google Trends to view traffic

Wherstead
05-15-2009, 02:37 PM
As a college webmaster, I am interested in the health of our website(s) and always looking for different ways to measure this. We purchased 'our' name for both the dotMobi and dot-Tel recently so I was curious how the two tlds compared. I ran across a great little tool you may be interested in, but I'm sure you have already found it; Google Trends.

Go to http://google.com/trends and type in the phrases or keywords you wish to view and compare. I was interested in how .mobi compared to the new .tel and found some interesting results. I was expecting a sharp peak for the dotMobi around September of 2006 when I bought my first names and there it was along with one earlier toward the middle of May. With vanity suddenly flaring, my next idea was to see if the press releases I wrote on my dotMobi sites corresponded with any minor peaks. Well, you know the answer to that one of course.

Just to let you know, a copy of one of my dotMobi sites translated to a dot-Tel took the .Tel of the Week for this week (12 May) so I plan to work harder on my dotMobi and make it a more valuable tool. Of the 125 sites I own, this dotMobi is currently in second place on the Alexa scale and I hope to have it showcased on the mobiThinking site one of these days. My company's site was one of the earlier sites showcased when they were hungrier for 'good' material. It's harder to get their attention these days.

All this said, being a webmaster can be a lonely job and very little appreciation is shown. Having one of your sites chosen as a featured item by a respected company gives credence to your good design and/or function. Use tools like Google Trends and Alexa.com to see how you stand against the crowd as well as in comparison to where you are on a month to month basis. It's a little work but well worth the results.

Here's to a brighter future with dotMobi!

Steve Merrill
www.Merrill.mobi

rob
05-17-2009, 03:03 PM
As a college webmaster, I am interested in the health of our website(s) and always looking for different ways to measure this. We purchased 'our' name for both the dotMobi and dot-Tel recently so I was curious how the two tlds compared. I ran across a great little tool you may be interested in, but I'm sure you have already found it; Google Trends.

Go to http://google.com/trends and type in the phrases or keywords you wish to view and compare. I was interested in how .mobi compared to the new .tel and found some interesting results. I was expecting a sharp peak for the dotMobi around September of 2006 when I bought my first names and there it was along with one earlier toward the middle of May. With vanity suddenly flaring, my next idea was to see if the press releases I wrote on my dotMobi sites corresponded with any minor peaks. Well, you know the answer to that one of course.

Just to let you know, a copy of one of my dotMobi sites translated to a dot-Tel took the .Tel of the Week for this week (12 May) so I plan to work harder on my dotMobi and make it a more valuable tool. Of the 125 sites I own, this dotMobi is currently in second place on the Alexa scale and I hope to have it showcased on the mobiThinking site one of these days. My company's site was one of the earlier sites showcased when they were hungrier for 'good' material. It's harder to get their attention these days.

All this said, being a webmaster can be a lonely job and very little appreciation is shown. Having one of your sites chosen as a featured item by a respected company gives credence to your good design and/or function. Use tools like Google Trends and Alexa.com to see how you stand against the crowd as well as in comparison to where you are on a month to month basis. It's a little work but well worth the results.

Here's to a brighter future with dotMobi!

Steve Merrill
www.Merrill.mobi (http://www.Merrill.mobi)

Hi Steve,
I was showcased when they first started 21/2 years ago. the showcase brought in a mere 125-150 visits a month directly from the showcase link. that being said i wouldnt spend much time getting your name showcased for a mere 150-200 visitors a month. It just isnt worth the effort. concentrate on SEO instead and get your name ranking high in google. Google can and has made many millionaires over the past 6-7 years from being on the first page of results.
Cheers
Rob

Wherstead
05-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Point well taken, Rob. But there is more to helping the community than making money. That is simply a by product. Did the impressionist paint for the sake of money or was it for the freedom of expressing themselves and receiving peer recognition.

I'm keeping the idea of the long haul in mind. By jumping on the wagon before the band at the very first, the dotMobi and dot-Tel folks get to know you quicker and are more apt to cater to your requests if they are for the greater good. This has been the case for both where I have quietly made suggestions and found them to be receptive. This relationship tends to fade away but you have left good impressions and met some really fine people to boot. Those that benefit are my customers.

I've been in cancer research since the late 70s using the Internet and am now in education and believe that if we keep the idea of sharing over the Internet as one 'community' we all benefit.

Set your goals not just for tomorrow but for five years and then ten years where you would like to be and build with that in mind. I don't know what the Internet will be like ten years from now but if I can continue to see my contributions add a positive influence this is where my goals pay ***, the money will follow, and it has.

gogo
05-20-2009, 06:52 AM

Steve Merrill
www.Merrill.mobi (http://www.Merrill.mobi)

Hi Steve thanks for the info, interesting, and congrats on getting sites on mobithinking - they don't just take everything.

I'm a fan of the mobithinking directory and whether or not the healthy traffic it generates is impressive depends a bit on your point of view. I have a few obscure sites that really appreciate the traffic from there, which comes from the most unexpected countries.

BTW mobithinking is page rank 6.

frdsmth9
07-09-2009, 05:07 AM
Google Trends provides insights into broad search patterns. Please keep in mind that several approximations are used when computing these results. All traffic statistics are estimates.