PDA

View Full Version : Raleigh, NC #1 in Forbes

Carlton
03-29-2009, 09:38 PM
I live in North Carolina and was very pleased to see Raleigh ranked the #1 city in the USA for Business & Career opportunity. A good number of other North Carolina cities made the top 20 (out of 200 total metropolitan areas surveyed). I think we may have other North Carolina residents at Mobility?

Raleigh, NC #1 in Forbes (http://premiumdomains.biz/blog/2009/03/raleigh-nc-tops-forbes-list/)

... by PremiumDomains.biz :tee:

Gerry
03-29-2009, 10:08 PM
I think we may have other North Carolina residents at Mobility?

Raleigh, NC #1 in Forbes (http://premiumdomains.biz/blog/2009/03/raleigh-nc-tops-forbes-list/)

... by PremiumDomains.biz :tee:Bingo! RTP is infamous for being referred to The Silicon Valley of the East.

Greensboro is moving on up the list (perhaps) with the landing of the new FedEx east hub as well as PTI being the new home of Honda Jet, USA headquarters.

Yes, this is the same company that makes Cars, Motorcycles, and such.

Check this baby out!

http://hondajet.honda.com/default.aspx?bhcp=1

I have a friend that is a pilot licensed to operate this and he would not shut up (still hasn't) talking about this and that was two years ago!

In addition, Honda has selected Burlington as the site to manufacture the engines for the Jet.

For those that don't know, Burlington is between Greensboro and Raleigh.

It looks like that entire stretch of I-40 is a bonanza for business.

On a side note, I have a brother who is a retired USAF pilot and one of the NASA space shuttle inspectors. Next time he comes to visit I am going to use him to get me a ride on the Honda Jet! :biggrin:

Gerry
03-29-2009, 10:28 PM
WOOHOO!

My Winston-Salem came in #18!

Carlton
03-30-2009, 01:11 AM
Hear, hear for Winston-Salem! That Honda Jet looks fabulous, extremely aerodynamic. Top speed 483 mph and the service ceiling is 43,000 feet. I would imagine this thing to be a pilot's dream.

Gerry
03-30-2009, 04:22 AM
My buddy who flew has not shut up talking about it.

Regarding the Forbes article, I was shocked at all the NC cities ranked.

North Carolina and Colorado account for 10 of the top 20 metro areas.

In the smaller Metro rankings, Greenville NC was ranked high.

GijsZePa
03-30-2009, 07:14 AM
..and a hell of a cycling team in the 70s and 80s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI-Raleigh

Martin

Gerry
03-30-2009, 06:05 PM
The winston area is trying to become a smaller metro tech center.

There is a Incubator model where the city wants to do just that - a research and development metro to attract new and future emerging industries.

The plan is working out pretty good thanks to having Wake Forest University, Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Forsyth Technical College, Winston Salem State University, and Salem College all within the confines of Winston.

Raleigh is enjoying a bonanza in this area being surrounded by Top Universities like University of North Carolina, Duke, and NCState. There are numerous other prestigious private and public universities in the area (such as Hollins College and Campbell University). But all three of the aforementioned have incredible rankings year after year in academics (and sports). UNC and Duke have two of the top Medical Schools in the country while NC State is known for its technological programs and School of Veterinary Medicine.

The software company RedHat is located in the area. There has been many attempts for other states cities to entice RedHat to move but they have no desire to leave Research Triangle Park (RTP). RTP is often referred to as The Silicon Valley of the East.

Without question, the basis for these NC high ranking has got to be education and medical communities. In Winston alone, Baptist hospital employs nearly 18,000 people and Forsyth Medical Center perhaps 12,000. Two major hospitals and one major medical teaching university all within 3 miles of each other.

meanieme
03-30-2009, 06:42 PM
*raises hand*

I live in Raleigh! I'm trying to launch some .mobi sites....let's get together and partner up!