Acer.mobi sold by 5000 USD
not mine:dontknow:

photoman
03-27-2009, 06:20 AM
they are big dollars, wow 5000...

gogo
03-27-2009, 06:26 AM
hmmm... http://www.acer-group.com/public/News/2009/20090216-3.htm

Acer, the rhythm of mobility: Unveiling the first set of Acer Tempo Smartphone series at GSMA Mobile World Congress
http://www.acer-group.com/public/News/images/index11.jpg

BARCELONA, SPAIN (February 16, 2009) -- Acer, the third largest vendor in the global PC market (source: Gartner data, 1H 2008) is introducing a new line of smartphones with a broad range of features and innovations. These first devices are mainly targeted at consumers who want to make use of excellent technology both for their personal and their professional needs.

btw they do not seem to own acergroup.com

ChineseDomain
03-27-2009, 06:46 AM
another drop catch, wow!

Mobitunist
03-27-2009, 06:50 AM
another drop catch, wow!

I am sure they would have easily won it through WIPO also.

I do also recall this one dropping in November.

gogo
03-27-2009, 06:56 AM
This is the name in the whois

http://tenpennyinc.com/index.html

do you suppose this will be used for a gambling site?

newdomainer
03-27-2009, 08:40 AM
I am sure they would have easily won it through WIPO also.

I do also recall this one dropping in November.

Acer is a botanical name... no way would a WIPO have succeeded without bad faith being clearly shown..

Acer = Maple for those who aren't botanically minded like what I is :rolleyes2:

That is an excellent sale! Indeed...

Pred
03-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Acer.mobi sold by 5000 USD
not mine:dontknow:

great sale

how did you get the escrow copy then??? :hmmmm2:

DomainTalker
03-27-2009, 03:13 PM

Good question....

pierrejj
03-27-2009, 05:39 PM
great sale

:embarassed::biggrin:

acc
03-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Acer is a botanical name... no way would a WIPO have succeeded without bad faith being clearly shown..
Acer = Maple for those who aren't botanically minded like what I is :rolleyes2:
That is an excellent sale! Indeed...
I like the way you think. In this case an Acer saccharinum ("silver" maple) sale.

Another example of a good win-win end-user sale and once put to use by Acer it will be a nice, short, memorable URL for them to use and promote.

newdomainer
03-27-2009, 06:15 PM
I like the way you think. In this case an Acer saccharinum ("silver" maple) sale.

Another example of a good win-win end-user sale and once put to use by Acer it will be a nice, short, memorable URL for them to use and promote.

Acer platanoides for the scandinavians.... Norway Maple..

Acer pseudoplatanus for the 'helicopters' (Sycamore) :smile:

Acer palmatum dissectum atropurpurea for the rockery...
(beautiful small tree)

Acer capillipes - snakebark maple..

Acer negundo - Box elder

Acer griseum - paperbark maple

Acer saccharum - Sugar maple

Acer spades - 52 leaved maple

Acer nahole - Golfing maple

Acer howyadoon - gentlemans greetings maple

Shall I stop now? lol

acc
03-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Acer platanoides for the scandinavians.... Norway Maple..

Acer pseudoplatanus for the 'helicopters' (Sycamore) :smile:

Acer palmatum dissectum atropurpurea for the rockery...
(beautiful small tree)

Acer capillipes - snakebark maple..

Acer negundo - Box elder

Acer griseum - paperbark maple

Acer saccharum - Sugar maple

Acer spades - 52 leaved maple

Acer nahole - Golfing maple

Acer howyadoon - gentlemans greetings maple

Shall I stop now? lol
LOL, Are those are all *** the top of your head? Excellent memory.
Now that I see them the "woody plant materials" courses are all coming back to me.

newdomainer
03-27-2009, 07:19 PM
LOL, Are those are all *** the top of your head? Excellent memory.
Now that I see them the "woody plant materials" courses are all coming back to me.

All from memory - hence the spellings may be rusty?

Of course I trust that you spotted the last 3 imposters! :embarassed:

But as far as trees go... without picking up a book I reckon I could do a list a few pages long...

Acacia
Acer (100's of varieties)
Ailanthus - altissima being tree of heaven
Alnus
Arbutus
Betula (dozens)
Buxus
Carpinus
Castanea (sativa being sweet chestnut)
Catalpa Bignonioides (got to be one of the best names! lol)
Corylus
Cotoneaster - yes there is a variety that forms a small tree!
Crataegus (dozens)
Davidia
Eucalyptus
Fagus
Fraxinus
Ilex (dozens)
Liquidamber
Olium
Malus (dozens)
Paulonia
Parrotia
Platanus
Poplus (dozens)
Prunus (100's upon 100's)
Quercus (dozens)
Robinia
Salix (dozens)
Tilia

I'll have to look these up, can't remember the latin!

Horse chestnuts begins with A (A hippocastanum being horse chestnut)
Elderberry... I'll kick myself when I look that up!
Mulberry too?
Walnuts... butternuts.. Damn! this is harder than I thought it would be...

Then there's your conifers...

Arucaria
Larix
Pinus
Abies
Tsuga
Pseudotsuga
Chamaecyparis
Metasequoia
sequoia
sequoiadendron
Taxus
Taxodium

That's from memory... 9 years after I put down my climbing harness for the last time.. Am I ***icially a 'tree' nerd? :embarassed:

Now I want to pick up a book and see how many dozens of 'obvious ones' I forgot!

domainitrix
03-27-2009, 08:08 PM
That's from memory... 9 years after I put down my climbing harness for the last time.. Am I ***icially a 'tree' nerd? :embarassed:

Now I want to pick up a book and see how many dozens of 'obvious ones' I forgot!

Yes, you are :biggrin:!

But, so refreshing to see this side of you. I think people who can recite plant species in Latin or Greek are totally cool.

Gerry
03-27-2009, 08:14 PM
I think people who can recite plant species in Latin or Greek are totally cool.:adore: Wow, a true sign of a geek girl! :biggrin:

noonoo1
03-27-2009, 08:14 PM

Hey were you a tree surgeon?

I need 4 of my Scots Pines severley pruned, i am getting a quote on Sunday.

Gerry
03-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Actually, being a native Mainer and home of Sugar Maple, the acer is cool.

Isn't this the name of a computer company?

newdomainer
03-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Hey were you a tree surgeon?

I need 4 of my Scots Pines severley pruned, i am getting a quote on Sunday.

Pinus sylvestris you mean... they don't look good pruned hard.. you can't shape them - best left natural shape (i.e. height & spread) but maybe thinned to let a bit more light & wind through than mother nature intended.. :coo2l:

noonoo1
03-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Pinus sylvestris you mean... they don't look good pruned hard.. you can't shape them - best left natural shape (i.e. height & spread) but maybe thinned to let a bit more light & wind through than mother nature intended.. :coo2l:

The thing is they are about 70 foot high and within 10 feet of my house.:vroam:

Pred
03-27-2009, 09:40 PM
look good pruned hard.. you can't shape them - best left natural shape (i.e. height & spread) but maybe thinned to let a bit more light & wind through than mother nature intended.. :coo2l:

why are you discussing 'your' bush? :biggrin:

newdomainer
03-27-2009, 10:19 PM
The thing is they are about 70 foot high and within 10 feet of my house.:vroam:

It depends what you're worried about?

Many folk get worried that the tree/s will coome down in a strong wind and crush the house to rubble and kill everyone inside..

The reality is that trees tend to fall against houses rather than 'through' houses... especially at 10ft away... there's no distance for any momentum to be built up.. the worst you'd get is your eaves broken, the guttering and a few broken slates.. often the weakest side (root wise) is the house side - meaning the tree is more likley to fall away from the house than towards it.. (depends on prevailing winds etc..)

As for light... I'm guessing that they don't rob much light if they're that close as the canopies will be 20ft above your eaves leaving your windows fairly clear?

feel free to email a couple of pics if you want an opinion.. :coo2l: (don't want you getting ripped *** by the local pikey! lol :rolleyes2:)

youmo
03-28-2009, 03:18 AM
:embarassed::biggrin:

Does that mean it was yours?
How did the sale occur?
They contacted you?

pierrejj
03-28-2009, 06:52 AM
How did the sale occur?
They contacted you?

NO, It was sold by somebody else :adore:
a lucky man:frown:

Dave
03-28-2009, 03:59 PM
How did the sale occur?
They contacted you?
Hey, c'mon, we've got a nice tree discussion going on here...why ruin it with business talk? :wink:

So getting back to the important stuff, I'm actually an avid landscape gardener myself, so all those Latin botanical names are familiar to me as well (although I don't know that I could have reeled them all *** from memory like that).

So, ND, how do I get my eucalyptus dalrympleana not to die *** every winter here in the Seattle area?

Oh, and to stay on thread here, I've got a few acers myself, including a young Japanese maples (acer palmatum 'Red Emperor')...

newdomainer
03-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Hey, c'mon, we've got a nice tree discussion going on here...why ruin it with business talk? :wink:

So getting back to the important stuff, I'm actually an avid landscape gardener myself, so all those Latin botanical names are familiar to me as well (although I don't know that I could have reeled them all *** from memory like that).

So, ND, how do I get my eucalyptus dalrympleana not to die *** every winter here in the Seattle area?

Oh, and to stay on thread here, I've got a few acers myself, including a young Japanese maples (acer palmatum 'Red Emperor')...

Dig it up and take it somewhere milder for winter... :rolleyes2:

Eucalypts are funny here in the UK... they look so pretty at 6ft tall in a nice pot at the Garden Centre... A few short years later people are wondering what happened to that 'little tree' they planted 3ft away from the house as it's shot up above the roofline! :laugh: Always made me laugh when I saw one.... they grow so fast it always catches people out..

I remembered the elderberry name too! - Sambucus nigra (& that's without looking at the book!) :coo2l:

domainitrix
03-28-2009, 05:22 PM

This is what I have(2 trees) in front of the house.
I really like the dramatic showdown of the deep crimson leaves. The problem is, it gets tooooo hot where I've planted them. It faces west and in USDA zone 10 like where I live, it burns the leaves. I've planted it last yr when I first moved, will see how it does one more yr( as roots will have gotten established further by now).

Seattle!, I envy you. You can grow Peonies there--cold enough. They are so pudgy and elegant looking in full bloom. Endless specie varieties too. Can't grow them here in Southern Cali.

My backyard has water wise California, Australian or South African Native plants. Pomegranate(Punica Granatum), lemon and Turkish Fig trees. Hope to see them bearing more fruits this yr as it was young when I got them last year.

We all sound like bunch of gardening geeks! :laugh:

Dave
03-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Dig it up and take it somewhere milder for winter... :rolleyes2:

Eucalypts are funny here in the UK... they look so pretty at 6ft tall in a nice pot at the Garden Centre... A few short years later people are wondering what happened to that 'little tree' they planted 3ft away from the house as it's shot up above the roofline! :laugh: Always made me laugh when I saw one.... they grow so fast it always catches people out..

I remembered the elderberry name too! - Sambucus nigra (& that's without looking at the book!) :coo2l:
Seattle is fairly mild in winter, actually (at least compared to Boston, where we lived before this) -- but we had a week down below 15 degrees this winter, which damaged a lot of plants. Some eucalyptus varieties do pretty well here.

I planted a Sambucus 'Black Lace' last year...it's coming back nicely this year.

'trix, we've got several peonies growing, and you're right, they do well here. Very large blossoms that will pull the plant down if they aren't supported. I've got a fig tree too, that's 3 years old now and it's doing pretty well. Had a couple figs the first year, but none last year. We'll see how it does this year.

You should see our blueberries -- gallons of 'em each spring from our 6 mature plants!

domainitrix
03-28-2009, 05:55 PM
'trix, we've got several peonies growing, and you're right, they do well here. Very large blossoms that will pull the plant down if they aren't supported. I've got a fig tree too, that's 3 years old now and it's doing pretty well. Had a couple figs the first year, but none last year. We'll see how it does this year.

You should see our blueberries -- gallons of 'em each spring from our 6 mature plants!

That is what I haven't yet done but, thought of doing. As I like the flower of blueberries; they look natural and 'wild' flower like in a smallish spray kinda way. Plus I'd appreciate some blueberries--expensive to buy at groceries. Do they(spread & height) get very big? I'm running out of gardening space. Every foot of it has something growing in them :laugh:

Dave
03-28-2009, 10:44 PM
Do they(spread & height) get very big?
Not really very tall, but they can get overgrown if you let them, so just trim out the old growth yearly -- it helps them grow blueberries more vigorously anyway.

coast
03-29-2009, 12:26 AM
Blueberries grow best in Michigan :)

Loving the botany lesson....

Looking forward to seeing Acer.mobi developed, too!

DomainTalker
03-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Ah, trees...

Here in Aussie I'm surrounded by 80 ft tall Eucalyptus gum trees - a National Park, actually. Its a lovely wonderland...but...the thing is, giant Eucalyptus gums LOVE fire - in fact, they need fire to prosper!! So, its a worry...

In 1994, a raging fire came through - 80 ft high wall of flame, at 80mph, came straight at us!!...30 ft from the house, it veered ***....Burned everything in sight, and left our house standing in the middle of a lunar landscape! Wow....

Also, there's a leaf & bark falling season...the gums drop vast quantities of leaves, and peel *** all their bark....Place looks like a battlefield 3 months of the year...

And, these gum trees suddenly drop giant branches for no apparent reason....Can be hairy.

But, for all that....Its gorgeous...:)

Scandiman
03-29-2009, 03:07 PM
That is what I haven't yet done but, thought of doing. As I like the flower of blueberries; they look natural and 'wild' flower like in a smallish spray kinda way. Plus I'd appreciate some blueberries--expensive to buy at groceries. Do they(spread & height) get very big? I'm running out of gardening space. Every foot of it has something growing in them :laugh:

A few tips for you... especially important is acidic soil.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/blueberries-plant-sunshine-2253729-good-southern

Dave
03-29-2009, 03:13 PM

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/blueberries-plant-sunshine-2253729-good-southern

I haven't tested the soil around our blueberries, but it must be quite acidic, because we get gallons of big blueberries every year.

DT, eucalyptus are great trees (but as you said, prone to limb drop) -- one of my favorite places in Hawaii is Tantalus on Oahu, where you can drive up through the eucalyptus groves and the smell is incredible!

noonoo1
03-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Well, I had a quote to prune my trees and it's going to cost me $3000, could have got some great names for that. :-)

Scandiman
03-29-2009, 03:28 PM
I haven't tested the soil around our blueberries, but it must be quite acidic, because we get gallons of big blueberries every year.
Yes, you live in blueberry heaven. The northwest in general is great, I have fond childhood memories of visiting relatives in Vancouver area and grazing on their huge, sweet blueberries straight from the bushes. They had about a 1/4 acre all planted out in blueberries. My chore was to scare away the birds.

acc
03-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Yes, you live in blueberry heaven. The northwest in general is great, I have fond childhood memories of visiting relatives in Vancouver area and grazing on their huge, sweet blueberries straight from the bushes. They had about a 1/4 acre all planted out in blueberries. My chore was to scare away the birds.
Evidently that includes annoying budgies.

Scandiman
03-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Evidently that includes annoying budgies.

:laugh: Don't mess with my berries...

http://www.girlontheright.com/redneck.jpg

acc
03-29-2009, 05:59 PM
:laugh: Don't mess with my berries...

http://www.girlontheright.com/redneck.jpg

Nice hobby scandi

domainitrix
03-29-2009, 06:00 PM

Tks for the tip Dag, Scandi & Coast.
I see it needs acidic soil to do well, I have clay like chalky soil, which I believe is quite alkaline ; I have amended when I moved in last year. Adding top soil plus tons of c***ee grounds discard that I got fro free from the local Starbucks c***ee shops for extra Nitrogen and eggshells( kitchen waste) crunched up and buried along with it for some Calcium for good measure to make more acidic and nutrient rich soil. As a result, it yielded decent volume of tomatoes, squash,beets and lettuce thrived and helped to cut the grocery bill.
I'm gonna think further about blueberries, as space is an issue and seem like I need to have at least 2 blueberry plants to pollinate.

@DT: Ecalyptus oil from Australia is one of my favorite home spa/remedy items. But, never knew about the natural disaster side of it b4. But, yes, as they produce gummy tar like substance, it make sense that they'd attract fire.

newdomainer
03-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Well, I had a quote to prune my trees and it's going to cost me $3000, could have got some great names for that. :-)

To do what?

What have you asked them to do? I did post before about emailing me some pics if you want an opinion..

noonoo1
03-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Sorry I missed your post, I will send you pics tomorrow. It's gonna take 5 days, including chipping.

TLD
03-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Actually, being a native Mainer and home of Sugar Maple, the acer is cool.

Isn't this the name of a computer company?

I started reading this thread from page 2 and was wondering what everyone was tokin' on.. now i get it, ahh acer, ok

HipHop.mobi
03-30-2009, 08:02 PM
LOL