PDA

View Full Version : Investing in Domain Names

Carlton
03-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Life is good for domainers. If it's not yet, then hang in there. Domain name investing and general corporate buy-in is building. When the economy begins to turn around, and it will, we are all going to see domaining come into the forefront. It will be prominently profiled in the news frequently, and your grandmothers will even be discussing domain names over tea and Jack Daniels.

The reason is because domain names are becoming understood as genuinely valuable to business, and not an optional side-show.

Investing in Domain Names (http://premiumdomains.biz/blog/2009/03/investing-in-domain-names/)

... by PremiumDomains.biz :ridinghorse:

Dave
03-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Life is good for domainers. If it's not yet, then hang in there. Domain name investing and general corporate buy-in is building. When the economy begins to turn around, and it will, we are all going to see domaining come into the forefront. It will be prominently profiled in the news frequently, and your grandmothers will even be discussing domain names over tea and Jack Daniels.[/I]
I'm hoping so -- that's why I'm doing what I can to hold on to as much of my portfolio as I can afford right now. And what I'm letting drop is only helping to make my portfolio leaner and better, in turn making it more affordable (and, hopefully, profitable) in the long term.

newdomainer
03-20-2009, 05:20 PM
It makes nice reading... is it your own editorial Carlton (I can't see a source referenced)?

Pred
03-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks Carlton , nice piece

love the image on right

babywipes > most stocks :laugh: :biggrin:

Carlton
03-20-2009, 10:02 PM
It makes nice reading... is it your own editorial Carlton (I can't see a source referenced)?Yes newdomainer, own editorial with the exception of the Sedo quotes from their report.

... love the image on right

babywipes > most stocks :laugh: :biggrin:HA! Glad you caught that! Wondered if anyone would notice.

Carlton
03-20-2009, 10:08 PM
P.S. Pred - Your MobiSite.org has a great list of known brands utilizing the .mobi extension. Great list of industry leaders there.

Pred
03-20-2009, 10:47 PM
P.S. Pred - Your MobiSite.org has a great list of known brands utilizing the .mobi extension. Great list of industry leaders there.

cheers
only half done. have been quite picky, theres shed loads more to add. including the 'sponsors.' handset manufacturers etc

feel free to plug and use :coo2l:, its designed as a jaw opener for those who may not realise mobis penetration, perfect to use as a link when writing to endusers, should work on the naysayers too, but even if he got knocked down and the ambulance had his hospital.mobi on side he would be in denial still lol

MrMobi
03-25-2009, 07:08 AM
nice work people, great ext .org for networking pred, .org are a very well oiled ext. Gran, Pa, Mum, everyone will be talking .mobi Carlton, the traffic to sites will be unheard of before and the .mobi trustmark of consistency will reign supreme as it already does.

noonoo1
03-25-2009, 07:39 AM
The .mobi trustmark of consistency will reign supreme as it already does.

Great words Mr Mobi.:coo2l:

Lumber Joe
04-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Domain investing is poor luck: by chance you may get a domain that can be sold for high price later, but this happens very rarely and most investors end up in losses.

newdomainer
04-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Domain investing is poor luck: by chance you may get a domain that can be sold for high price later, but this happens very rarely and most investors end up in losses.

I agree with you that it takes a certain amount of luck and that many names which are regged are just shockingly poor... I think your are wise to add caution to the list of requirements for a good domainer..

But you cannot deny, get it right as many have done (albeit a minority) and the results can be staggering..

Lumber Joe
04-22-2009, 08:36 PM
I agree with you that it takes a certain amount of luck and that many names which are regged are just shockingly poor... I think your are wise to add caution to the list of requirements for a good domainer..

But you cannot deny, get it right as many have done (albeit a minority) and the results can be staggering..
I understand your points, but I don't think that the return from this operation has been positive for many domainers.

newdomainer
04-22-2009, 09:08 PM
I understand your points, but I don't think that the return from this operation has been positive for many domainers.

When you say 'this operation' what are you referring to?

If it's domaining as a whole I'd agree with you that many don't make a good living at it.
If you refer to dotmobi in particular I'd agree that many haven't made money yet but I'd also suggest that many don't expect to make money until the mobile internet reaches a critical mass allowing either their developed sites to grow & profit or for portfolios of names to find increased demand.

Pred
04-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Domain investing is poor luck

i guess you mean 'pure'?

if so, to take that approach would mean not doing due dilligent research, hounding down bargains, approaching endusers, or developing etc

if you reg any old name or overpay and do none of the above then, yes, you would be relying on luck to an extent

never a good thing to do

don't get me wrong, luck plays a part of eveything in life
it's something science will never be able to nail down

welcome to the forum btw

mobiClick
05-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Let's hope the domain investment market recovers strongly. The cream will rise to the top. Great Domains will always be great. But, lousy domains will just get lousier.

MH Vishal
05-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Pretty well all the good names have been taken. People will sell you names, and you can hope to find a buyer for these, but usually you end up losing money trying this. As the other poster said you are 10 years too late.

newdomainer
05-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Pretty well all the good names have been taken. People will sell you names, and you can hope to find a buyer for these, but usually you end up losing money trying this. As the other poster said you are 10 years too late.

I understand why you say that but there is always a market... 10years too late is not true...

If you go back 10 years you might well have been able to pick up a dotcom and hold it for maybe 3 years and you might have lost 90% of your investment
(or has the tech crash been forgotten already? ;-)

If you bought 15 years ago & looked to flip the names (15 years ago) you'd be hard pushed to make BIG bucks.. You needed to sell before the tech bubble burst OR you had to hold until 2005 onwards..

I believe that today is a buyers market... you could buy today at anything from $60 to upwards of $10,000 and sell in 3 - 5 or even 10years time for a good profit.. it requires a dose of luck as well!

Of course, it's never been the case that you could buy any old domain and flip it for a profit.. most people find it hard to negotiate well when they buy names so they pay too much.. then they fail to sell their names or when they do, they fail to negotiate well at the exit too..

It's the same with buying and selling anything from real estate to rice to cars or domains to collecters cards... some people make, some don't..

ChineseDomain
05-12-2009, 01:16 PM
I understand why you say that but there is always a market... 10years too late is not true...

If you go back 10 years you might well have been able to pick up a dotcom and hold it for maybe 3 years and you might have lost 90% of your investment
(or has the tech crash been forgotten already? ;-)

If you bought 15 years ago & looked to flip the names (15 years ago) you'd be hard pushed to make BIG bucks.. You needed to sell before the tech bubble burst OR you had to hold until 2005 onwards..

I believe that today is a buyers market... you could buy today at anything from $60 to upwards of $10,000 and sell in 3 - 5 or even 10years time for a good profit.. it requires a dose of luck as well!

Of course, it's never been the case that you could buy any old domain and flip it for a profit.. most people find it hard to negotiate well when they buy names so they pay too much.. then they fail to sell their names or when they do, they fail to negotiate well at the exit too..

It's the same with buying and selling anything from real estate to rice to cars or domains to collecters cards... some people make, some don't..

Well said! It really depends on looking in the long term.

Carlton
05-12-2009, 10:03 PM
I think there are a surprising number of good domains available at reasonable prices from domainers. Many domainers are not looking for end user prices and need to liquidate some names.

Direct purchases, online auctions, plus some drop catching still yield good acquisitions. Seriously. People need to be focusing on narrow niche that fits their interest or matches their knowledge base. That's where the opportunity is.

Maguire
05-13-2009, 02:52 AM
Now that is not unusual that I see things differntlly and I will ***er that my knowledge of domains has scant little authority, and justifiably so, in relation to people who buy and sell in this forum.

However, I will state, with a great degree of authority, something that I said when i first joined this forum.

Domainers need to up their game and start wearing the mantle of business expert in the field, of domains.

You can take common reg. fee domains that you bought by giving enough thought to future events and weaving the story of the future around these acquired domains.

I could go on ad nauseum but that will serve little purpose.

Here is what I propose:

Take a look at NetMD.mobi and spend the full 8 minutes it takes to read it.

Then take *** your domainer hat because, if you leave it on, in all your wisdom, you won't see the value of the 7 or 8 domain names incoporated in the compelling story woven about them.

But now that you have removed the stultifying domainer hat and can look at this site, without jaundice, let your business side of your brain take over.

If you were analyzing a business opportunity here with no pre-conceived notions about individual domain value, would the story be of interest to you? It should at least be different because it is not hawking one domain and why that one domain is supposed to be important.

It is an anthology of names around a central theme of a coming, widespread event.

And what is the prupose of this?

I just took in $200,000 from 8 investors, with three year notes, at 6% and the opportunity to share in the profits, if this site in total or individuals domains names are purchased.

Why did they put their money in?

The story is good and, quite frankly, people don't have a good place to put their money right now.

So, a new modality at the direction of someone who sounds like they know what they are doing is okay at this point. Because the people who were supposed to know, screwed it all up and has their portfolios down 45%

Now, I ask you.

With all your experience in domains that you people have, can you figure out how to make 20% on a pool of a couple of hundred thousand dollars in your speciality...domains?

The note holders share in 25% of all the profit above the 6% guarantee, according to their proportional share of the note pool ownership.

So, if your pool ONLY does 20%, they share in 40% of the difference between 20% and 6% which happens to be (14% x 40%=5.6%)

If someone owns 25% of your note Ppol, they receive an additional 1.4% (5.6% x 25%), for a total return of 7.4%.

An excellent return. And, if you gave back 7.4%, you earned 12.6% for managing the show.

Top Wall Street money mangers get 1 1/2%.

You just need to figure out how big of a note pool you want to manage.

I really am not looking to argue with anyone on the merits of this because we would not be arguing domains here. We would be arguing finance and that is about the only thing I don't have to pretend to know in life.

So, there are only two reasons not to do this:

1. You don't really believe in the future value of domains
2. You don't really believe in your own abilities to tell a compelling story, with passion, about domains that you researched.

Doc

P.S. My apologies that this web site is not a real .mobi, as I don't know how to do that. Just not that clever.

MyWebSearches
05-13-2009, 04:19 AM
I cant' understand why people sell SOME domains,

if you buy a good domain today and wait 7 years that domain will be worth a lot more. So you are basically selling that domain at very low price no matter how much money the buyer paid to you. Why not develop that great domain yourself and earn money for the rest of your life.

Also if a domain is making me about $.5 a day, I would not sell it. As long as the domain pays me the registration fees every year, I will keep it as long as I can. Think about it, the internet is just beginning and 10 years or much less some of your domains will become hot properties.

At this moment I have hundreds of domains that make ZERO a year, but they are keywords domains and I know someone outthere would love to own some of them. For theses domains I might be incline to sell but at a high price.

All it takes is to be creative and start developing one domain at a time (e.g. 1 per day)

Maguire
05-13-2009, 04:29 AM
Or incorporate a group of domains in web site having a theme or business centrality, along with enough content demonstrating the future market and have someone buy that potential. Or a group of people invest in that future potential.

I don't have valuable domains, so I must create value.

I can only wish that I had some of the domains that people in this forum have.

Doc

andyparker01
10-12-2009, 11:12 AM
yes you are right now days this business leading top of the chart.