PDA

View Full Version : Mobile SEO - .mobi vs .com

clarkemarketing
01-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Hello fellow Mobi enthusiasts.

My name is Ben, and I am an Internet marketer from Eastern Canada. I'm great at optimizing .com websites so they receive solid traffic from Google, but I've never even given mobile traffic much thought until now.

My father has been telling me for 3 or 4 years that ".mobi is the next big thing, get in early" but I just don't know. I did a Google search for ".mobi seo advantages" and the first article was entitled "Mobile SEO - Why .mobi is dead" :hmmmm2:

I think everyone here will agree that the amount of mobile traffic on the Internet is about to explode, but the real question is how to best get a piece of the pie. This leads me to ask you all to answer this question the best you can...

In 3 years time, when someone turns on their Android powered mobile device and goes to the Google Mobile search engine, when they search for something like "horoscopes" or "restaurants" or even "free mobile tetris game download", are most of the URLs in the top 10 going to be .mobi's or .com's?

Right now it seems URLs such as wap.restaurants.com are dominating their .mobi counterparts, but doesn't this essentially render the .mobi domain useless? When I go to Google here in Canada, I'm automatically taken to Google.ca, and .ca domain names have serious SEO advantages over their .com counterparts. Do you think that some day .mobi's will be given similar advantages and will appear at the top for mobile searches?

Gerry
01-21-2009, 02:38 AM
Right now it seems URLs such as wap.restaurants.com are dominating their .mobi counterparts, but doesn't this essentially render the .mobi domain useless? that is assuming that people search for "wap.anything".

Who is going to put a wap first?

or an m.?

or a mobi.?

or who is going to put it at the end?

.wap?

.mobile?

All of your presumptions are based on the presumption that this is actually a person typing in wap.

Type in traffic?

That is the biggest problem that I see universally to not using a .mobi extension.

Who or what determines what to use?

When no one can agree on anything, why does someone think they will agree on something?

wap says mobile to who? those that use wap and are familiar with the wap standards?

Before I got into .mobi, wap said and meant nothing to me.

Programmers and domainers do not determine nor dictate what to use and when to use it.

It will be a marketing issue and has been a marketing issue. Some marketers are saying m.domain, mobile.domain, mobi.domian, domain.com/wap, domain.com/mobile, domain.com/.mobi.

So who will win? Nothing says mobile but mobi does.

wap does not say mobile. It is merely a method to create a site but it is not a uniform way of saying mobile.

And i hardly believe that wap is going to have more organic type in traffic than a site addressed as .mobi.

clarkemarketing
01-21-2009, 02:55 AM
Programmers and domainers do not determine nor dictate what to use and when to use it.

It will be a marketing issue and has been a marketing issue. Some marketers are saying m.domain, mobile.domain, mobi.domian, domain.com/wap, domain.com/mobile, domain.com/.mobi.

Almost every website in the World receives more traffic from search engines than from type in's, therefore Google will ultimately determine what the norm is. I'm just wondering if anybody has any insights/opinions on which route Google will choose, if all variables remain the same (incoming links, pagerank, content, etc.) which domain will rank better for a Google mobile search "free mobile downloads", freemobiledownloads.com or freedownloads.mobi

coast
01-21-2009, 03:24 AM
Hi Ben,

I have a rather lengthy rebuttal to the .mobi is dead presentation here: http://mobienthusiast.mobi/mobi-is-dead-presentation-also-known-as-dont-follow-bad-advice/

There are prominent domain name investors who have been against .mobi from the start, either because the do not see a way to make money with parking a site full of ads, or because they are genuinely threatened by what a global mobile domain tld would mean to .com in the long term. Many of these domainers have been badmouthing .mobi while secretly buying them up. Mobility.mobi members have reason to believe that the presenter was influenced by one of those domainers.

Nobody knows what google will do, but a developed .mobi site will have greater weight in the long term in my opinion and in the opinion of other mobile SEOs. There are technical considerations and policy considerations, too, such as the need to whitelist sites on some mobile carriers so they are not transcoded. I've gone somewhat in depth on my blog, http://mobienthusiast.mobi on these topics as well.

That should get you started. Good luck.

Gerry
01-21-2009, 03:41 AM
Almost every website in the World receives more traffic from search engines than from type in's, therefore Google will ultimately determine what the norm is. I'm just wondering if anybody has any insights/opinions on which route Google will choose, if all variables remain the same (incoming links, pagerank, content, etc.) which domain will rank better for a Google mobile search "free mobile downloads", freemobiledownloads.com or freedownloads.mobiBen, this is not about Google or any other search engine, for that matter.

There are too many assumptions made about Google.

Who would you say ranks first in China?

Not a criticism, but this I think is the falsehood about many SEO people, domainers, and programmers.

In fact, if google had their way, it would be g.domain.com rather than an m.

Or perhaps later in the year as .goog?

The point I make about China is not just as a comparison but for the very idea of how or what they will do to access the mobile net or mobile sites.

They are expected to use m. also?

Their biggest issue before them is IDN in the terms of internet usage.

We take too much for granted as to who and how things are run. Just like we are taking for granted that the world is English and nothing but English speakers.

There are so many factors to consider regarding the mobile internet included browsers and how mobile data is accessed.

clarkemarketing
01-21-2009, 03:45 AM
Thank-you Coast & Gerry, your replies were very helpful!