PDA

View Full Version : dreaded dash

replic8te
09-12-2007, 08:08 PM
how is the hyphen as part-of-the-name perceived in the .mobi world?

we all know it devlaues .com's and such, but Im thinking "Hey, I got no dash on my cell phone, how am I supposed to type in a dashed .mobi?"

then again, I see sales with dashed .mobis.

so what gives? good or bad? does it devlaue a .mobi?

thanks
Mike

seanboy
09-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Personally, I don't like hyphens in any extension..

I see one exception with .mobi: L-L and N-N names. For some reason, there are no NN.mobi or LL.mobis available, thus making the next best thing L-L and N-N.

thinking1
09-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Well, despite what other say if the names are good with the hyphen then you should get some traffic.

Here are some stats from august with a few of my hyphenated names.

cell-games 5 hits 2 clicks
i-sports 4 hits 1 click
e-technology 1 hit
e-videos 1 hit

coast
09-12-2007, 09:18 PM
The dash shows up as a space on search engines, so it is not a problem for traffic from keyword searches. Once the user goes to the site, it is stored in the browser's history, so it can be easily clicked on at a later date or time. The only real problem with a dash is for type-in traffic.

mejcdj
09-12-2007, 10:26 PM
I like the dashes on really good names.
Most of the phones will have qwerty keyboards soon anyway.

nombre
09-12-2007, 11:07 PM
The dash shows up as a space on search engines, so it is not a problem for traffic from keyword searches. Once the user goes to the site, it is stored in the browser's history, so it can be easily clicked on at a later date or time. The only real problem with a dash is for type-in traffic. that's why i picked up background-check.mobi, the non-hyphen is premium and the hyphen should show up the same in search engines this has an ovt of over 500k and i hope will be popular to do from handhelds and phones

mejcdj
09-12-2007, 11:50 PM
You inspired me to look again nombre.. and I found these 2.
Maybe we won't get rich of dash names, but they are sure worth more than reg fee IMO.

New-Releases
New-Release

Gerry
09-13-2007, 12:08 AM
I likes em.

Scandiman
09-13-2007, 12:31 AM
I likes em.Actually you like "en" since "em" dashes are not available in URL's. ;) Sorry, its the typographical anal retentive guy in me coming out.:embarassed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash#En_dash

Gerry
09-13-2007, 01:22 AM
Sorry, its the typographical anal retentive guy in me coming out.:embarassed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash#En_dashI know what you mean. Sometimes I too feel like a guy trapped in a man's body.

mejcdj
09-13-2007, 02:07 AM
Actually you like "en" since "em" dashes are not available in URL's. ;) Sorry, its the typographical anal retentive guy in me coming out.:embarassed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash#En_dash

LMAO.. where do you find this stuff?
I think we need to go get you drunk.. you have entirely too much time on your hands lol
:beer:

think
09-13-2007, 02:17 AM
Actually you like "en" since "em" dashes are not available in URL's. ;) Sorry, its the typographical anal retentive guy in me coming out.:embarassed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash#En_dash

I thought my humor was dry

:laugh::argh:

Scandiman
09-13-2007, 02:46 AM
LMAO.. where do you find this stuff?
I think we need to go get you drunk.. you have entirely too much time on your hands lol
:beer:
LOL! Actually typography was a major part of my life for many years so this one required zero research. I've dealt with book designers who just about had aneurysms over little crap like en dash vs em dash. Yes, there are people who sweat these nuances in things. It's a thankless job. One publication that does an outstanding job is the Wall Street Journal, their graphics people are top notch for a newspaper. They went through an extensive redesign a few years back and after much evaluation they decided to have a new font built just for them. Yes, with probably 20,000 fonts available, nothing was quite what they wanted and hired a typographer to design one from scratch. No doubt they sweated over the length of the en dash vs the em dash.

mejcdj
09-13-2007, 05:04 AM
I can not imagine.. I would be bored out of my skull with a job like that.
So.. I still think we need to get you drunk... but now I think it should be a 3 day weekend party lol

Scandiman
09-13-2007, 05:28 AM
I can not imagine.. I would be bored out of my skull with a job like that.
So.. I still think we need to get you drunk... but now I think it should be a 3 day weekend party lol
Trust me, I don't need any help to throw back a few beers.;)
:laugh: :beer: :laugh:

Finigo
09-13-2007, 07:12 AM
roaringdrunk.mobi is available

coast
09-13-2007, 08:34 PM
We have two California .mobi related conferences to choose from - on in Beverly Hills and one in San Francisco - c'mon out for 'em, people.

I think the en vs. em is upsetting your sense of order, and beer might not be enough to fix that lol.

mejcdj
09-14-2007, 12:07 AM
I need a couple of fat sales to take a trip to CA just yet. Im way on the other side. lol

Scandiman
09-14-2007, 01:00 AM
I need a couple of fat sales to take a trip to CA just yet. Im way on the other side. lolAre you anywhere near Sydney or Melbourne?

http://mobilemondaysydney.com/

http://www.mobilemondaymelb.com/

wazida
09-14-2007, 04:32 PM
so what about numbers in the domain name too? :dontknow:

example..... test1234.mobi ?

is that hard to type in on your cell phone? is that also dreaded? :hmmmm2:
whats everyones opinion with that?

Scandiman
09-14-2007, 04:37 PM
so what about numbers in the domain name too? :dontknow:

example..... test1234.mobi ?

is that hard to type in on your cell phone? is that also dreaded? :hmmmm2:
whats everyones opinion with that?
On my simply nokia, to enter a number such as the #2, I hit the #2 key 4 times to get to the #2 (first comes a, b and c). Or I can hold it down for a long duration and it will jump to the #2. Pretty easy either way.

wazida
09-14-2007, 04:46 PM
On my simply nokia, to enter a number such as the #2, I hit the #2 key 4 times to get to the #2 (first comes a, b and c). Or I can hold it down for a long duration and it will jump to the #2. Pretty easy either way.

yeah that is kinda what i though the way it would be also. what about for the number 0? is it the same thing? its just like text messaging right?

example.... test100.mobi or test01234.mobi

but when i try to text message on my phone the number "0" i wont let me type it in:frown::confused2: , not cool , what about you scandi same thing?

Scandiman
09-14-2007, 05:03 PM
yeah that is kinda what i though the way it would be also. what about for the number 0? is it the same thing? its just like text messaging right?

example.... test100.mobi or test01234.mobi

but when i try to text message on my phone the number "0" i wont let me type it in:frown::confused2: , not cool , what about you scandi same thing?
For the number zero I long hold the zero key. Works fine.

wazida
09-14-2007, 06:36 PM
damn, wow i didnt know that you had to hold the button down like that :mad2:. i thought it just wouldnt let me use the number "0" .:embarassed:

coast
09-14-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm looking for some sales to justify a Helio Ocean - I like the built in video camera, and qwerty is where it's at! My old samsung shuts *** the browser halfway through any mobile website.

mejcdj
09-15-2007, 12:25 AM
Are you anywhere near Sydney or Melbourne?

http://mobilemondaysydney.com/

http://www.mobilemondaymelb.com/

The other side of the country lol.. South Carolina :)

Scandiman
09-15-2007, 02:42 AM
The other side of the country lol.. South Carolina :)
LOL! For some reason I thought you were an Aussie. :embarassed:

mejcdj
09-16-2007, 05:58 AM
LOL! For some reason I thought you were an Aussie. :embarassed:

lol What would give you that idea?
Now I am wondering if I have an accent I don't know about ...:laugh:

MrMobi
12-05-2007, 08:02 AM
im just answering this to get rid *** i made an ass of myself post of the main page lol most phones ive owned, even back many years had options to put in a dash...you just have to find the option for symbols...or add symbol...the last 4 phones ive had up until this k800i all had that feature so i dont see it being a problem. hence i regged re-charge.mobi pre-paid was there but im sure i missed it after many months trying to secure other names. I reckon with names like blu-ray its best to reg both versions if your selling or developing IMHO....dare say in most cases though that these hypenated names are worth less and i cant see the need for them at this early stage when so many 2-3 word...let alone ONE-word.mobi names are still there...for examples of these one word absolute CRACKERS...see my portfolio update tomorrow as i reg about 5 more at least....dam shame pioneering.mobi was gone a few months ago *** the list of 700 odd names i posted(since when you hover over mobility.mobi at the bottom of the screen it says pioneering the mobile future or something to that effect) scrumptious and many others also gone..still theres plenty left. Oh IMHO of course. Love to get some views on tomorrows regs please after i post them...tnx.

Pred
12-05-2007, 01:48 PM
from dnjournal's sales report today:

.Mobi dominated the Global Contenders again this week, taking five of the first six positions, eight of the top ten and 12 of 20 overall. You've already seen the first seven names from this chart on the all extension leader board. The three highest sales you haven't seen are all .mobis, including #8 GPS.mobi, sold at Sedo for $9,500, #9 YesOrNo.mobi, a name that got a $9,200 answer at AfternicDLS and #10 E-mail.mobi, another Sedo sale at $7,194.

A nice dash no doubt, but dashes sell in all extensions. I see no difference myself.
First choice without dash. However if good enough keywords, go for it.
Lets face it, yesorno is pretty lame and look at the bunce for that!

Ehsan
12-05-2007, 03:56 PM
I too hate any the dash " - " in any extension but i just makes me sick to even have a dash in mobi too

MrMobi
12-05-2007, 11:56 PM
I too hate any the dash " - " in any extension but i just makes me sick to even have a dash in mobi too
dont let it make you sick man...im glad that the sales with a dash for names worthy of one are good...helps my portfolio names like re-charge.mobi e-tag.mobi e-toll.mobi t-pass.mobi and maybe a few others i have...remeber too words.mobi are powerful seeds and if you say their making you sick..well you may just get sick...dont mean to preach so i best shut up..l8r:smile:

Ehsan
12-06-2007, 06:31 PM
lol dont want to be sick but it just makes me not want to open domains with dash or buy domains with dash lol