PDA

View Full Version : Why do we need .mobi sites when we have m.something.com or something.com/mobile?

coast
09-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Question:

Why is there a .mobi when there are plenty of mobile sites in the other tld's ?

Answer:

Unlike other names that end in .com, .co.uk, .de, and other tld's, .mobi names are specially designed for mobile devices. Naming conventions like m.something.com or something.com/mobile are difficult to type into a cell phone keypad (try it and you'll see what I mean), and they are not always designed properly to load on a mobile device. Something.mobi is much faster to type and load. Too bad I don't own the actual something.mobi - I bet it will get a lot of traffic after this post. But I digress...

The .mobi names exists to take advantage of standards that provide sites that load on a cell phone or pda easily and reliably every time. Names that do not end in .mobi lack these standards and often load slowly, consume large amounts of bandwith, incur large usage charges, and sometimes never load at all or load improperly.

Some people will try to tell novice domainers and developers that .mobi is not necessary and that these other naming conventions signal the end of .mobi. We believe that is simply not true, for the reasons stated above.

Good luck with your .mobi names and never let anyone tell you that anything is the end of .mobi. It is a strong, vibrant tld and gets stronger and more important each day.

Scandiman
09-01-2007, 11:14 PM
The coding standards used by .mobi are mainly developed by the W3C Mobile Web initiative http://www.w3.org/Mobile/ of which .mobi is a sponsor. Any website CAN be developed using these standards, but few are. Only .mobi domains MUST be developed to these standards, providing a trustmark to users who can immediately know that a .mobi domain will work on their phone before they try to open it.

Mobile Web Guy
10-19-2009, 03:05 PM
I believe that the Mobi name will be needed to identify a mobile web site. "Mobile web site" is too long and the m.name.com and other ways don't easily fit into a name

Someday (soon we hope) everbody will know Mobi = a web site built for a phone screen

coast
10-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Hi Mobile Web Guy, thanks!